1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Join the newspaper revolution

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, May 25, 2010.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

On July 4, The (Lorain) Morning Journal will declare its independence from the fading traditional newspaper business, along with other papers in Journal Register Company's historic Ben Franklin Project. We want, and need, readers to become part of the revolution by helping us to brainstorm story ideas, ask questions and find information.

http://telltheeditor.blogspot.com/2010/05/readers-become-part-of-creating-morning.html

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gee, another "Let's ask the readers what they want" initiative. Hasn't this been done, oh, about 50 times in the last 20 years?

Then you get a bunch of coverage of JV soccer, and circulation goes down and the suits throw a fit and cut the page count even more.

Here's a suggestion: Stop with the stupid gimmick initiatives, and start putting your resources towards beefing up both your paper and your web site. And while you're at it, give your people a nice raise, since they've been getting screwed over by JRC for the last 20 years. Just the name JRC makes your readers want to run away.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What you said. Lorain's daily has been a pretty mean suburban competitor to the PD in past years, but the suits seem determined to turn it into a weekly shopper.

4. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Have people stopped calling and emaililng the newspapers with ideas for stories, about developments in their communities, about their issues and woes? I don't think so. And there's a great plug for your own future, talking about the 'fading traditional newspaper business.' How about this instead? "We're drowning. Throw us an anchor."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In my experience, people usually call after the fact and complain about why something wasn't in the paper or wasn't played up in the paper as opposed to calling beforehand and suggesting ideas.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hire good people, don't lay off or chase away your experienced people, have a creative and motivating work environment and don't pursue things that aren't in your best interests.

Be a good, solid newspaper and quit trying to be six different new, hip or trendy things your staff cannot achieve with the limited financial or staffing resources.

Or screw around with champagne aspirations on a Natty Lite budget, and then beg the remaining "customers" for a lifeline of ideas and help.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Stop covering us when we lose.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

At our JRC shop, we had a discussion about this just yesterday. Our conclusion is that we're not sure what the bigwigs want us to do. The companywide e-mail was so full of jargon that we couldn't figure out what they were trying to say. Boy, that's a great start.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder what program they are going with for layout, since they are ditching proprietary systems. GIMP works well for photos, and I know of one open source layout program.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jeez man, get your head out of the clouds.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

These two posts have it right.

This is not an initiative. It another attempt to get other people -- more amateur, cheaper other people -- to do the work and jobs of journalists, you know, instead of having actual journalists do it.

It is so sad and wrong, and sounds so desperate, much more so, I think, than needs to be the case.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the other hand ....

The way people receive -- and participate in -- the dissemination of news had changed completely with the internet. People (mostly younger people) are used to participating in the process and following what they want, not being spoon fed.

This is something newspapers struggle with, so I can't really fault any effort to try to connect with readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted