1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnson retires....Pearlman is grateful

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dykstra was an asshole. Daulton was ok. He's kind of fucked up in the head now but then, he was fine.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I spent a smidge of time around that 93 Phillies team. They had a key player from Richmond and we did a pretty big postseason section.
    Daulton I can support fully as being an ass. Dykstra didn't come off that way. I needed some sitdown time and he came in early on a Saturday to give some schlub from 250 miles away an audience. Others told me he was like that. Never once said "dude," either.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

So Tiger's decided to go straight?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

One of the whiniest things I've ever read. No jokes.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I had a decent experience talking to Bonds, pre-roids and pre-Aaron chase. Never talked to Johnson. Had Will Clark make a veiled threat against me one time. So in the N_W biggest prick you ever covered sweepstakes, clark wins the pissing match. I swear I saw circumcision marks on his neck.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

nahh... it was a smegma ring

7. Dude ... I'm eating.
    Ugh.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From what I've heard, Kent was far worse than Bonds ever was and Clark was far worse than Kent.

I've never understood why baseball players are so much worse to deal with than NFL, NHL and the NBA. From my vast experience writing NHL playoff sidebars, I always thought hockey players were very easy to deal with and thought similarly about the NFL and NBA.

9. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Classic. That will never not be funny.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I only ever talked to Jeff Kent once, and he was great that day. But I too have heard that the majority of time he was an unbearable prick.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not that this excuses bad behavior, but I think it's the sheer number of games. Twice as many as bkb and hockey. Baseball players see writers every day. With the other sports, their exposure to the media isn't as much. Or maybe the individual nature of the sport just naturally attracts jerks. Who knows?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's an apprenticeship you don't have in the other sports.

A guy like Kent might have signed a bonus, but after a humble way of living in the minors, he thinks he doesn't need to bend over for anyone when he gets to the big leagues. Whereas a slug like JaMarcus Russell signs a $32M contract and heads straight to the top of the depth chart.

Draft saved Draft deleted