1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnson retires....Pearlman is grateful

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

No one gives a crap if Randy was an ass to the media. All the rest of society cares about is how he performed on the diamond, and he was pretty damn good.

2. And I don't get the feeling that he's asking them to. It's a personal blog. He's not writing a column about it on A1 of the New York Times. Pearlman himself has called it his "vent" space. I've got no real issue.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No issue either, but I covered Johnson in Arizona and just have a different impression of the guy. He had his surly moments, but he could be engaging and funny at times too. He wasn't an ass 24-7.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had a similar experience with Bonds. Never dealt with him much, but he was really good (for him) the one time I dealt with him in something other than a pool setting. One of the Giants beat writers at the time told me, "You must have gotten him right before he took his asshole pill."

As a teenager, I watched Will Clark push over a 5-year-old at picture day. The kid's dad was fumbling for the shot and Clark pushed him away and the kid fell flat on his face.

Another time, Clark was warming up by first and his hat blew off. A kid in the front row said, "Oh my God, he's bald..." and Clark came over and said "Fuck you" to the kid, who might have been 10.

I have no idea how Clark was to the media. I've heard stories about Albert Belle that make me think he might be the worst ever.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It was ball four to Dunn. That's all I got on Randy Johnson.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wasn't even the biggest ass on that pitching staff.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Me neither, and I'm glad he's got it. I love that kind of stuff and it's hard to find because, obviously, writers employed by a newspaper or mag shouldn't have a blog on the side to air their personal laundry. But for a freelancer, great. And Jeff's not always targeting the bad guys.

I do think he's too generous in allowing comments on the BLOG!, many of which seem to be from a-holes who confuse his posts with news stories.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Incredible numbers considering he started at 24 1/2

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Barry had his moments and you may have gottne him before his asshole pills took effect.
    I personally loved the time Jeffrey Leonard bitch slapped Will the thrill. Priceless.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought this thread was about Randy Johnson...

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Friend of mine said that the 1993 Phillies were LOADED with such assholes, led by Dykstra and Daulton

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never dealt with him, obviously, but loved watching Johnson pitch.

He spent part of one offseason with the Expos as a roadie with Rush which I think is kinda cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted