1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnny plays hard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 20, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but I doubt this woman has the mental capacity to come up with something like that.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Y'all will be happy to know that Johnny and his teammates didn't get screwed after all. They've received a playoff bid. All is well, and the youngsters can go ahead and study hard without fear of being crapped on.

(and just for clarification, the kid's name is Johnny. that's what makes it so funny.)

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Would hate to think the kids would be scarred for life by this. You're sending the whole staff out to cover, right?

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Live blogging, too, right?

5. Shoeless Joe

I'll talk to advertising and see if we can arrange a 24-page tab.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Ah, you know advertising. Better ask for 48 pages if you want 24...

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, Lord. Parents. Covered a HS football game tonite — a real ass-whipping (52-0 at halftime). At one point, students carrying the home team banner run up and down the sideline... and accidentally collide with one of the visitor's cheerleaders. Parents get all batshit crazy.

Dude stopped, helped her up and she was okay enuf to continue cheering the rest of the game. Whatev.

After the game, waiting for the coach, I had three parents of the visitors see my credentials and tell me that I should print how "unsportsman-like" the home fans are, about how charges should be filed with the police, etc. Only... they were serious.

"Little Jill's mom is right over there if you want to talk to her," prodded one.

"My brother-in-law's a cop. I already called him and told him what happened. He says we should file a report," says another.

Another asked me for my phone number so he could get some more info and call me later with it. Also, he said, I could be a witness for the police report.

Uh... no.

8. Shoeless Joe

My response would be a polite "I can't be a witness. I was busy working, watching the field of play. Sorry. As for the information you might have if there are charges filed, you'll need to speak with someone in news. I'm in sports. We don't handle that."
    Then run like hell.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

My own stupidity, too. I usually tuck the credentials under my shirt if I'm going to be waiting around where parents are. Didn't last night. Should've.

Draft saved Draft deleted