1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnny Miller

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Difficult course........yeah.

That said......someone will shoot 65 or something like that this week.

The thought of a 288 yard par 3 shows just how arrogant the USGA is though.......

Trevor Immelman (who hits it a ton) did ace the thing on Tuesday........with a 3-wood.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, and they are still playing with wooden drivers, right?

The equipment changed the sport. That is why you have a 288-yard par three.

3. occasionally

occasionally Member

In my mind, the biggest reason to hold a presser is to take the ease off someone who would otherwise do countless 1-on-1 interviews. Everybody can get him in one shot this way. I don't think there's any debating Miller's thoughts on Oakmont are, at minimum, a lead notebook item.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I think you're referring to Roger Maltbie who "Johnny" is contractually obligated to call him "Rog." Which, by the way, is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I don't know why, I just find it uber annoying.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

No one will sniff a 63 at Oakmont this year. 67 or 68 will be the equivalent to Miller's 63, given the difficulty of the course set-up.

Miller's round remains one of the greatest ever shot in a major - like him or not (and I happen to think he's the best analyst in TV sports, not just golf).

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll take Johnny's direct style over Jim Nantz's eternal slurping of all things Augusta during Master's week,

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

according to the post-gazette ... "the eighth hole played at 252 yards even in the 1927 U.S. Open at Oakmont" ... the point of the hole is to be accurate with even the longest clubs in your bag.

These guys are pros, let 'em deal with it. IIRC, someone back in the 50s or 60s won the masters despite laying up on No. 4 (a par 3) every day and getting up and down four times.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I don't mind the attention drawn to Miller this week. It's good to get some perspective from someone who has tamed one of the toughest courses. And, yes, it is a lead notebook item.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

miller and faldo are the best golf analysts, period. This week miller is part of the story because of his 63. you can say he was out early and under no pressure, but that's the way a lot of Opens are won. you hang around for three rounds, put up a number sunday and let everybody shoot at it.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Faldo's better.

First, he's funny and self-deprecating of his past automotron demeanor.

Second, the accent.

Third, he looks like he could stand in for the Harrison Ford of 15 years ago.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Miller is the best analyst in golf, period. Aside from Feherty (for completely different reasons), there's nobody else even worth listening to.

And he's just as candid about his own career and his own shortcomings as a player as he is about others'.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He's a bumbling, stammering guy who would have been a hell of a player if he didn't choke all over the green.

Draft saved Draft deleted