1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnny Miller

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just saw where he had a press conference today at Oakmont.

Have never liked the guy.

At all.

Why is he holding a press conference? It was 24 years ago when he won there....Big Damn Deal.

Most arrogant golf guy I can think of.

He keeps ripping people for the way they play....yeah.......the last tournament you won was Pebble Beach in 1994.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't mind him. He doesn't blow sunshine... if a dude gags a shot, Miller says so. And he tends to walk the viewer through a player's thought process, and stuff like that I find interesting.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

He does come off as arrogant, but he can back it up with his analysis. I have yet to see El Tigre or Lefty try to crack back on him when he rips them a new ass. Come to think of it, I love it when he rips Phil when he royally fuck it up on the back nine, like last year's disaster at the US Open.

All that Dan Hicks has to do is shut up and let Johnny go full bore, uninterrupted, with his schtick.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, he won there 34 years ago. He shot what's considered the best round in golf given the circumstances: 63 on Sunday at Oakmont. There won't be a 63 this week. They'll be lucky to shoot 73.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I think he's the best analyst in golf because he calls it like he sees it.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That he hasn't won since 94 has nothing to do with whether he's a good golf analyst. He's hardly played since then. When's the last time Ken Venturi won? He's a great golf analyst.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

That's what shethe LPGA said.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Miller win that last one somewhat out of the blue? Hadn't played in ages and walks up and wins?
    Guy's one of the best players ever and a strong analyst. And he will be the subject of many stories this week. A press conference is quite appropriate.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A 63 at Oakmont is worth remembering. Especially when you see the scores that are going to go on the board this week.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Apparently, all of the on-course commentators are required to begin every sentence with the word Johnny. As is "Johnny, I'd play this putt a cup to the left" or "Johnny, he's got 150 to carry the bunker."

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

What's more irrelevant than a pre-tournament golf press conference? Two, I suppose.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The circumstances were that he was out early and had zero pressure.

Albeit on a difficult course.

Draft saved Draft deleted