1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnny Damon...the new Derek Jeter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, May 22, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

The New York Daily News Gossip columnist reports that Johnny Damon was seen at a Saturday Night Live party with Renee Zellweger and other celebrity folk over the weekend into the wee morning hours.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/bwiddicombe/index.html

Some thoughts..

1) The fact Damon has become this B-list celebrity amazes me. He's no Joe DiMaggio, but it seems like people in the media at times paint him as the next Yankee Clipper.
    and
    2) Why is this newsworthy?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's gossip, not news.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Damon can't even be put in the same conversation as Jeter. He should be doing commercials with Geico in his natural look.

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

You tell me why it's news worthy.

5. jakewriter82

I don't think it is news.
    I think we've reached the age where everything a celebrity does, no matter how stupid or insignificant becomes fodder for trash mags like US Weekly.
    I guess I find it funny that Johnny Damon has become part of that world.
    If he were still playing with the A's he'd still be a nobody, even if he had the exact same career numbers.
    Just another reason the New York media is pathetic at times IMO. A player takes a dump and three gossip reporters are there taking notes...

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's bull. if "snl" was based in san francisco and damon went to a wrap party, bay area gossip columns would do an item on it. this wasn't a n.y. thing.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, because really, it's not like the media culture is any different in New York than any other city due being set in such an incredibly competitive market. :)

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

have you read the papers in places like buffalo? it's more suffocating for players in small towns than in n.y. star athletes spotted out and about is big local news EVERYWHERE. good grief.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah...I can just imagine the Pittsburgh media going apeshit if they found out Jason Bay had his shirt off in Schenley Park in the afternoon before a night game.

10. jakewriter82

I think the bay area media has it's fixation on Barry Bonds. They wouldn't have time to pay attention to Johnny Damon's personal life.
    Plus, if he were still there he wouldn't have a World Series ring nor would he have that giant paycheck. He'd be an above-average outfielder on an above-average ballclub.
    All I'm saying is the New York media makes nearly all the New York athletes celebrities because there's always someone watching and they play in the biggest market in the world.
    If you look at the NFL, is it fair that Eli Manning gets more national face time not because he's a better player than Phillip Rivers but because he's in NY? Fair or not, though, that's how it works.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's not news, but it would make no sense for a newspaper in New York or L.A. to ignore celebrity, it's part of the local flavor. Some people like the idea that they are living in a glamorous place, and this validates it for them. I've never gotten any kind of thrill reading about some party that I was too poor/unknown/average-looking/unhip to be invited to, but obviously some people do like to get their vicarious thrill.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Frank, you're looking at the issue backwards. Obviously, you are TOO hip to be invited to celebrity parties. That's what I always think about myself, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted