1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Johnny Damon HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I believe this thread makes a bit more sense than the Roy Oswalt thread(no offense).

Updated projections using Bill James' Favorite Toy:

2,788 G
    12,255 PA
    10,908 AB
    1,877 R
    3,101 H
    603 2B
    117 3B
    276 HR
    1,295 RBI
    436 SB
    106 CS
    1,161 BB
    1,465 K
    .284 BA

If Damon actually hits those numbers (which strike me a pretty optimistic), there's no way he won't make the Hall.

In addition to 3000 hits, which is automatic in itself, he'll have over 600 doubles; so far only 14 major leaguers have done that, and all eligible are in the Hall (ineligibles include Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, and Craig Biggio)

With 1877 runs scored he would be #12 all time; he'd only be eleven runs from #10, Lou Gehrig. Obviously 1-10 on this list are baseball immortals. A-Rod and Jeter could beat Damon to the top 10, but the point still remains -- 1800 runs scored is very, very rarefied air.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Slap hitter with a noodle for an arm? Forget it. No fucking way.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If he gets to 3000 hits, I hope he becomes the exception.

Not counting Rose of course...

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you'd say that. People seemed to respond generally in a positive way toward the Oswalt question. I was pretty surprised, actually. I thought I'd take a bath over starting it. Maybe it's my turning point on here.

5. I'll bite here and give my response.

3,000 hits would be impressive, and he definitely grew as a hitter, but he's one of those that perfectly fits the "Hall of Quite Good" title.

The highest Damon was ever voted for MVP? 13th. Obviously players stocks will randomly rise and fall, but Damon's numbers never translated into a Top 10 guy in the AL. His arm was never quite top-notch, and his range was great, but do you have any lasting memories of him in the field?

He's one of those that I will fight is quite undervalued, but I wouldn't vote for him. That said, my rejection wouldn't be as aggressive.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I hope so, if anything because he was/is one of my favorite players (and the value of my 1,200 Johnny Damon baseball cards would go up).

Unbiased opinion? I don't see it.

Had a memorable World Series with the BoSox (damn memorable, for different reasons), but that was pretty much it.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

1. I don't think he's getting 3,000 hits. It's Jan. 18 and he still doesn't have a job, so how prominent is he going to be on any team? And he still needs 2 solid years. He's not getting better.

2. Even if he does limp his way over 3,000 hits, I still wouldn't vote for him. He can compile all he wants, but his career OPS+ is 105, and it's only going to go down the longer he plays.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He signed with the Tigers on Feb. 22, 2010 and the Rays Jan. 31, 2011. He collected 298 hits the past two years. Two more years like that and he's over 3,000.

Seven seasons with 15 or more HRs. Not HOF-worthy by itself, but he's not a slap hitter.

The guy was an outstanding leadoff hitter who was the catalyst for two World Series champions. The only people ahead of him in runs scored who are eligible for the HOF and not in are Rose & Palmeiro. If he gets to 3,000 hits, he's in.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet he ends up in the Bronx for this season as Yankee DH.
    His quest for 3000 hits is a good promo for the Yankees to embrace.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

See I don't get this type of thinking. What if he gets to 2994, does 6 hits really change the way you would vote? Damon was never considered to be one of the best players in the league. A good player but not a great player. I would prefer great players in the Hall of Fame.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He also has 404 stolen bases, and a pretty strong success rate, too.

I'd probably lean toward "in."

I know he's a bit of a compiler, but he's a really outstanding compiler, a pretty big star in the game in his time (for whatever that subjective judgment is worth), and was a major part of two World Championship teams, including one of the most popular World Series champions of all time. And he arguably had his two best seasons in those years.

I know his resume is flawed - namely, the lack of an outstanding peak that would have netted him some high MVP finishes. He only was named to two All-Star teams.

But, man, I'd probably vote "yes," as weird as it is to hear me say that. And I'm usually fairly strict and objective to a fault.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To the question I have to say no. Damon fits the category of above average player of which there are many with his numbers including Dwight Evans, Rusty Staub and Chill Davis.

Draft saved Draft deleted