1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Zorn leaving loaded Aberdeen (MS) Lady Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by bspeck, Jun 10, 2007.

1. bspeck

bspeck New Member

Zorn leaving Lady Dogs
    By BRANDON SPECK
    Sports Editor
    Amory (MS) Advertiser
    Aberdeen (MS) Examiner
    ABERDEEN, Miss. - Wanted: Head basketball coach for one of state’s most loaded girls’ basketball teams.
    That’s the way the position could read as Aberdeen Lady Bulldog coach John Zorn has resigned his post to take an assistant head coaching position at Class 5A Central Gwinnett High School in Lawrenceville, Ga.
    The decision to join his former Belhaven coach Dennis Roland as offensive line coach and assistant head coach was too good to pass up, but also the toughest decision of the 27-year-old’s young career.
    “Most definitely,” Zorn said, “I kind of felt like I had some unfinished business in football. The Lord was leading me to do it.”
    Zorn informed his players last week.
    “I guess they were fine. Pretty much everybody I’ve talked to figured at some point I was young, trying to move on up. Of course, I was sad just like they were.”
    In his second year as head coach, Zorn took the Lady Bulldogs to their first trip to the state tournament and finished with a school record 26-10 mark. Aberdeen returns a dangerous lineup, with senior Jasmine Quinn, sophomore Jameika Hoskins and junior Sally Davis leading a team with high expectations.
    “It made it a tough decision,” Zorn said. “We’re loaded as far as athlete-wise. They’ve got a lot of heart and are just now realizing their potential. They’ve got a chance the next couple of years.
    Zorn also served as a graduate assistant at Belhaven before coaching the offensive line at Aberdeen.
    “I love basketball. I love my girls. It was just something I felt like I needed to do,” Zorn said. “I enjoyed my time here at Aberdeen. I’ve been here for three-and-a-half years. Of course I’ll miss my students. Aberdeen did me well, treated me right. I don’t have any regrets at all.”

bs

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is there something else to this story?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm stunned there's only one thread dedicated to this huge story...

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Umm, keep us posted on this breaking news?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe Brandon thought he'd impress us with his writing.
    He didn't.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Release ... the ...

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

How this wound up in the Writers' Workshop, I have no idea.

But of all the stories I've read about John Zorn's departure from the loaded Aberdeen (MS) Lady Bulldogs, it's among the finest.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... For such a huge story, it looks like they gave him about 200 words...

Maybe that's just the initial posting for the web... I'll expect an 80-inch feature with a couple sidebars and a timeline for the section...

The tribute section can run next Sunday...

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We welcome you. Did you bring anything to eat?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't think I've ever said this before, but leave the poor kid alone. He didn't pretend to be an effing stud, or claim to be a future APSE winner like Justin Blanchard. He just posted his story on the wrong board.

The kid has five posts here, and just wants a little constructive criticism for his piece. Is that too much to ask?

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

GD -

I saw that this was moved here, but is that why? I thought it was a moderator mistake. Did Brandon really want some eyeballs on this for workshop purposes? If so, I apologize for having made light of it. Usually they come in with a little note at the top - "Please look at this," or something.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

God, I hope so. If not, I'm sorry for coming down on you all.

Draft saved Draft deleted