1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Wooden injured in fall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 29, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

My dad's mom was in her late 70s when she broke her hip and she slowly faded away after that. Damn, that was nearly 20 years ago.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Best wishes for a good recovery for Wooden, a man I have great respect for.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Me, too. It makes me a little nervous though because I remember this was the way Chick Hearn bought the farm. I do believe Chick had a head injury when he had his fall, but still.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you just get done smoking a bowl, too?

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Broken hips in the elderly are tough because they become immobile. Tied to a bed or a chair for prolonged periods of time can lead to potential for many lung problems. All your examples are correct; when people stop walking they can dwindle quickly.

Broken arms are inconveniences but don't have the consequences that broken legs can bring.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing as DocTalk. As best I can tell anything broken in the lower body (hip, leg) is likely to be a problem because it affects mobility. An arm bone might not be as bad.
    But I'm not a doctor. I could be wrong.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Chick Hearn fell and hit his head. He died two or three days later.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Chick hit the back of his skull on a large planter after a fall backward. Hardly the same.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hips frequently break and are the cause of the fall. Ask an orthopedist.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Wishing a speedy recovery.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I remember Chick had an earlier fall a few months before the one that killed him. He had heart surgery which ended his long announcing streak, and shortly before he was going to return, fell at a gas station and might have broke his hip. Yet he returned and was there for the Lakers' third straight title in 2002. Few months later he suffered the fatal flaw.

Just watched the UCLA Dynasty show from HBO. I'd forgotten about "Lew's" freshman season at UCLA. The freshmen team beat the varsity - the defending national champions - by 30, and for the season the freshmen won by an average of 56 points!

Sid Hartman had a column awhile ago lamenting that Wooden almost ended up at the University of Minnesota, instead of UCLA, and that the Gophers could have won all those titles. I can't see all those great UCLA guys going to Minnesota instead.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Ask Dick Schaap how that worked out.....

Draft saved Draft deleted