1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Wooden injured in fall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 29, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not good. :(
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not good, but not as bad as it could be (hip). For many seniors, a fractured hip basically means they're done walking.
  3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yikes. 97 is old. Sounds painful.
  4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If UCLA hadn't recently asked fans to leave him alone, maybe somebody would have been there to catch him.
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or done living. My wife's grandfather broke his hip in November 2005 and died in surgery three days later.

I've heard, from my mother-in-law, that he was really scared before he went into surgery and kept telling grandma he didn't want to go. Still makes me shudder...especially b/c I figured a broken hip wasn't a death sentence. I figured he'd be home and bound to the house/wheelchair soon.
  6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

That's awful.
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wooden had hip replacement surgery many years ago, so no worries there.

If I was rich like Cuban, I might get it done now so I'd not have to worry when I'm 70.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

George Burns was doing great until he broke his hip falling in a bathtub.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Artificial hips can be broken in falls, too.

My grandmother was going OK until her 99th birthday in 1996. She fell and broke her hip, got through the surgery OK, started rehab, then developed an unrelated cancer and was gone in a couple months. I don't think the hip fracture in and of itself did her in, but it sure sapped her strength she could have used to fight the cancer.
  10. Stop_Pre

Stop_Pre New Member

Old men+broken hips are weird. I had and 80-year-old grandfather, seemingly healthy, develop pneumonia and die months after he broke his. Then a year later my other grandfather, well over 80 and in poor health, broke his. I was sure he was a-goner, but somehow he made a full recovery. I don't get it.
  11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

These stories are exactly the reason I posted this. Broken bones can be especially dangerous for a 97-year-old like Wooden.
  12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As the years go on, it gets harder for the body to compensate for a part of it being greatly compromised.
Draft saved Draft deleted