1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Wetteland charged with abusing a minor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 15, 2019.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Between Chad Curtis, Mel Hall, Luis Polonia and John Wetteland, You could almost fill a protective custody unit with mid-90s Yankees.

Webster likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wetteland was in the Texas clubhouse at the same time the whole team was juicing its ass off.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

From the DMN article:

The Nationals fired him at the behest of then-manager Frank Robinson during the 2006 season for a series of practical jokes and transgressions.

"They seem to focus a little bit more on practical jokes and fooling around out there in the bullpen rather than focusing and concentrating on the game, and keeping their minds focused to what they would have to do when they came into the ballgame to get people out," Robinson said at the time. "I just couldn't put up with it anymore. I talked to John on a number of occasions and told him flat-out what I needed and how I wanted things done. He just didn't seem to understand."

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

We managed to get 12 posts without a Luke Heimlich namecheck. There's hope for him in MLB after all.

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Wetteland always had bad demons. I’m surprised he’s not dead, to be honest.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And you don't have to stop there if you're looking for felons in general. Steve Howe, Doc Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, and so on and so on.
    Chuck Knoblauch arrested; see list of past Yankees with legal troubles

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Two things:

1) His mug shot looks nothing like I remember him looking.

2) John Wetteland is in the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame?

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See that's not it at all; that's your jump.

What's being exposed is that Christians, when proselytizing to heathens (yes I've experienced it multiple times), sell Christianity by taking the position that the heathens (non-believers) need to be converted for the non-believer's self-preservation because heathens are wrong and that Christians are all perfect and don't commit heinous crimes. Is that said expressly? No, but that's the pitch.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not really.

Draft saved Draft deleted