1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Wall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As a native Washingtonian, the only team I'm a fanboy looser about is the Nats. That said, I follow the others and like to see them do well.

So, if I'm going to become a reborn Wiz fanboy, should I be excited about this? Wall was the only choice they could make at No. 1, right?

Speaking of Washington, you've heard about the new drink? The Ovechkin?

It's a white Russian with lots of ice - and no cup.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Moddy, IMO if Cousins doesn't implode in the NBA life, he will turn into the best player from this draft, but a GM would need Rushmore-sized stones to make that number one pick. Wall should be an excellent pro.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sweet, sweet DeMarcus.

Moddy, as a somewhat reborn UK fangirl for a few months this year while I loved on DeMarcus, I can tell you that John Wall will make your jaw drop at least once a game. He's got speed, and moves I've never seen. He just does things that don't even seem physically possible. He should be a great pro.

4. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

About 30 minutes after Wall was announed as first pick, Reebok commercial featuring Wall aired on ESPN. Welcome to instant gratification.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I hated UK, especially with Calipari, but Wall was amazing. He was fearless; he could be having a horrendous game but with the game on the line he would block a jumper or make a huge bucket. You should feel energized and blessed.

6. Moderator1

Reebok money bought his mother a house - I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of Reeboks.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So the Kings have Cousins and Evans...

That could be a nice combo.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm really, really hoping Cousins blossoms. I think he can be a game-changer. And I hope Calipari will remain in his life, because he did good things for the kid.

I have friends who cover UK. He was easily the favorite interview on the team. Great quote, just a little off in the head.

9. Moderator1

The best of us are that way.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wall could be all that. But, if you're going to follow the Wiz, keep an eye out for Trevor Booker, too. Rumor has it that the T'Wolves are dealing him to D.C. That's a nice way to rebuild ... Booker is a good substance guy and, while he's a little short, he has the build, smarts and determination to be a very productive forward in the NBA for a long time.

Now ... to see how management handles the Gilbert Arenas mess. Probably love to deal him, but that contract is obscene, even by typically obscene NBA standards.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wall is the real deal, Moddy. Check his stuff on YouTube. And watch the ESPN SportsScience feature on him. Pretty damn impressive.

100 percent chance I catch the Wizards a few times next year.

12. Crash

Crash Active Member

Wall is a freak, and one that if you've only watched on TV, you can't possibly grasp. I got to Rupp twice this season, pretty much just to see him play. His speed is jaw-dropping.

He needs to improve his on-ball defense and his jumpshot, and he'll have to become a little more polished playing against more talented players. But the open, man-to-man style of the NBA will fit him perfectly, as he got cramped a little by 2-3 zones while at UK. He has the speed and the ballhandling to get by anybody. The best move the Wizards could make now is to find a solid rebounding big man who can get the ball out in transition. Wall, quite simply, is as close to unstoppable on a fast break as is humanly possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted