1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Tomase now covering Red Sox for Herald?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Saw this on Pro Football Talk... The Pats opened minicamp and Tomase was covering the Red Sox.

There is speculation that the Herald has been completely shut out.

I'm sure there are people on this board who know what's going on.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Re: John Tomase now covering Red Sox for Herald

What constitutes "completely shut out"? They've been covering minicamp all week, with plenty of quotes.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tomase has always covered Red Sox at least part of the time for Herald. It was his original beat in Lawrence.

4. Mizzougrad96

The article said he hadn't had a single Pats byline since the "explanation"

I know Tomase originally covered the Sox, but I don't know too many places that have their NFL guy cover baseball games during the off-season.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mizzou, the Herald does not have what one might call a deep bench. It is an undermanned organization, and what with the NBA Finals, a certain amount of reshuffling was inevitable. I'm sure they weren't unhappy to shift Tomase, but unless he doesn't show up for actual training camp, I hesitate to ascribe any ulterior motives to this development.
    I have no inside information. I didn't have any inside information on the joint when I worked in it. This is just deductive reasoning.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i still maintain tomase is a "dead beat writer walking" on the pats beat come training camp. just don't see any way around it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Actually makes perfect sense...

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There aren't many pubs these days that have strong benches.

Certainly not The Boston Herald.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Update:

http://shots.bostonsportsmedia.com/2008/06/tomase-still-on-pats-beat-despite-weekend-sox-duty/

Draft saved Draft deleted