1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Sterling's Ichiro home run call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 1, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If Sterling replaced Marty in the Reds booth, he would be bound, gagged and pushed into the river before the top of the third.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You've really seeing it through pinstriped eyes now Manky. Detroit Tigers. The late Ernie Harwell. The next person I come across who disliked Ernie Harwell, not only as an announcer, but a human being, will be the first.

And the Reds? What Dixiehack said!

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And how can anybody forget his call EVERY time the Yankees win.

"BALLGAME OVER! YANKEES WIN! THHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN!"

It's not funny, it's not cute, it's not iconic, it's ... shitty. Really.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I believe you forgot someone ...
    [​IMG]

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

His he run call for Russell Martin is equally embarrassing. "Russell shows muscle. Monsieur Martin. C'est beau (?)".

I would put the Red Sox announcers (sans Dave O'Brien) near the top of the list. You can hear the air go out of them should another team hit a home run. Should the beloved Home Towne Team lose, they don't have a
    Post game show.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The best was when Matsui hit a home run one year.

"It's an A-Bomb!" Long, long pause. "... At least it would have been, if A-Rod hit it!"

Of all the players he could have mixed that call up on, obviously, Matsui was the worst.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's always fun to do "Yankees lose . . . THEEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES LOOOOOOOOOOOOSE" after the boys drop one on the road, and you're sitting beneath the booth housing the village idiot.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think Harrelson would fit nicely into the No. 4 spot, then everyone else. Physioc is absolutely un-listenable, and Hudler is just flat-out bad. Bad, bad, bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted