1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Sterling's Ichiro home run call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 1, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's horrendously bad. I despised him back when he was doing the Braves and Hawks. Blech.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been around Yankee Stadium in a long while, but it used to crack me up seeing Sterling in the Thurston Howell navy jacket and white pants. I can't remember if he wore a cravat, too.

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OK. But I think some of the hatred is due to his association with the "Evil Empire." If he was on, say, the Reds or Tigers radio team he would be considered a national treasure.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Enter the apologist.

Sterling is bad, plain and simple. The Yankee-haters probably hate him a little bit more, but I've never heard a right-minded person say he was good at his job.

As a Reds fan, I would be embarrassed if he was calling games for Cincy.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As someone else noted, if he was hokey and accurate, he'd be fine. I could live with the goofiness if that were the case. But the fact that he so consistently gets the call wrong makes it very difficult to listen to him.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was funny.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Thank you :).

I *never* pre-script anything when I do play-by-play, and am generally annoyed by the ones who do and also those who rely on catch phrases.

I also never go "thuh-uh-uh-uh pitch" 250 times a game, either.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I neither hate nor love the Yankees. But I like to listen to their games because you generally can expect a lot of offense, for at least one side and maybe the other, too. But listening to Sterling makes me turn the radio off in disgust.

So it's not a Yankees thing. Sterling is bad -- and, worse, he's annoying. Sterling is ear vomit.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Mel Allen is a national treasure and he is most associated with the "Evil Empire".

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo. And Allen in his prime was as much, if not more, of a product shill than Sterling. But he wasn't a blowhard about it and he didn't screw up so much.

Worst announcing teams goes like this:

1. Sterling/Waldman (NYY)

2. Physioc/Hudler (KC)

3. Chip Caray and anyone (ATL)
    4. The rest of the major leagues

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Whenever I'm having a bad day, this still cheers me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMzQCI9ZeTo

Draft saved Draft deleted