1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Schuerholz 'stepping down' after 17 seasons.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 11, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

According to espn. No link, sorry. Press conference 330 pm.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Re: John Schuerholz 'stepping down'

I got a press release about a big announcement at Turner Field, I figured one of the top two was leaving.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Frank Wren is the new GM.
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/10/11/schuerholz_1012.html

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I must mention the fact that John Schuerholz is one of the nicest and most accessible executives in baseball, always willing to take a call from someone from out of town working on a Sunday notes column, and not averse to writing a note of thanks after reading said column that mentions him. I just hope he retires with complete health and happiness so he can sit back and listen to the doo-wops I know he loves. Malt Shop Memories is one of his favorite CDs, he once told me.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Y'all are quick. Just heard that one on the radio and went looking for the link. Nice work.

I wonder what changed his mind. I found some stories from during the season in which he said he had considered retiring, but decided to return for 2008.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Buckdubs wept.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The new Cub owners need to call him right after they shitcan Hendry.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

And the link says "Schuerholtz calling it quits." Why can't they just say "resigning?" Am I the only one who hates both "calling it quits" and "stepping" either down or aside?

I'm not a Braves fan, but he did a heck of a job for a number of years. His success only waned when the powers-at-be starting cutting back on the budget.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just called a Braves fan, and he surely will feel lost. As late as yesterday, he was telling me how the Braves will rebound because "Schuerholtz and Cox won't let them remain out of the postseason."

That sucks for Atlanta.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What Casty said. I wasn't around him much but when I was, he treated me quite well and always made time. Returned calls promptly. A bit arrogant? Maybe but not in offensive way if that makes sense. Terrific GM.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

The AJC is actually reporting now that Schuerholz is going to become the team president, the same title that Stan Kasten had and Terry McGuirk had most recently. So it looks like Schuerholz will still be involved in the operations, but just not in the day-to-day capacity.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps the "resignation" is a move to keep Wren around until Scherholz is ready to step aside completely?

Draft saved Draft deleted