1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Rocker to compete on Survivor?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Jul 26, 2014.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He has said a lot more than just insulting New York. Let's be honest, Rocker and you share the same views, it doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The racist and homophobic content - not the city he directed it at - has far more to do with the general public's low opinion of John Rocker.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree with both points. If he said it about any other place, nobody would have cared and that people were just looking for one more reason to hate John Rocker.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. What he said about New York was just the start of Rocker's ignorant, insulting comments. Do you think he went silent after his one tirade?

5. RecoveringJournalist

No, but as usual, you're missing the point. Since it was directed at NYC, people freaked out. If it was directed at any other city, it would not have created the shitstorm that it did.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're right, racist, homophobic hate speech would have had nobody caring, nit only matters because it was New York

So which is it, would nobody have cared or was it blown up because it was New York?

7. RecoveringJournalist

I'm not condoning his comments, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that if he makes the same comments about Chicago that he gets booed the next time he pitches there, but it doesn't become the top story in sports the way it did. The NY papers pick up the story and run with it and then all of the talk shows that are based out of NY do the same.

If he made the comments today, it probably wouldn't matter as much who he said it about because everything spreads like wildfire these days because of Twitter, TMZ etc. But in 1999, the fact that it was directed at NYC mattered a lot. It's why everybody remembers the comments about the 7 Train, but few remember the Randall Simon comments, which I think was the most offensive of his rants.

8. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Rocker's on a short leash. Preview from next week has him ready to fight a guy on the other tribe. Plus they all know now who he is. And it's a shame because he tried to help the black guy's girlfriend last night as he promised the black guy he would, and justfound a pile of poo to step in.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, that was her fault, not his...

He does have the idol. I'm hoping he stays around for awhile, but I'd be surprised if he makes the merge.

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Someone would have to convince me that the behind the scenes people on this show don't manipulate the game from time to time.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Except why did he change his vote?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's idiotic. Rocker went on a bigoted, racist, homophobic tirade with Jeff Pearlman, then of Sports Illustrated, sitting next to him in a car. The No. 7 train comments were just part of it. It was clearly a national story. He got suspended for 28 games (later reduced to 14 by an arbitrator.)

Draft saved Draft deleted