1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Rocker to compete on Survivor?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a Celebrity: Get Me Out of Here was so awful it was brilliant.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Well, for the most part, they're almost all in it for the exposure. I remember him saying on Stern that the biggest concern was them quitting and then not having a show, especially if they had to pay certain guarantees to get them there in the first place. Hell, they've had that problem with Survivor players who came back for another appearance.

My issue with the "celebs" who have been on there is they're at such a huge disadvantage. I think Lisa Whelchel is the only "celeb" to do well. Jimmy Johnson and Cliff Robinson didn't last long. I don't remember how well Gary Hogeboom did.

Maybe if you shortened it two 2-3 weeks like they do with Celebrity Apprentice. But to some extent, why bother?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Disagree. Do you think Cliff Robinson or Lisa Whelchel really were looking for exposure? Neither used their Survivor stint as a springboard back into public life. Jimmy Johnson's Survivor fantasy was pretty well known and he certainly doesn't need anymore exposure than he gets on FOX. About the celebrity I can think of who has competed on Survivor that seemed to be there for the exposure was the Marlins owner.

I think the celebrities they've had have been pretty well vetted to show a dedication to playing the game. As Probst noted, too many celebs joining a stars edition would just up and quit because the game is damn hard.

I think a true celebrity edition would be a complete and utter failure.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Well, after working once in more than 20 years (Facts of Life reunion), Whelchel now has a workout video out, was in a Tyler Perry movie (remember Perry is a huge Survivor fan) and is in a Hallmark movie.

I agree that I don't think Jimmy Johnson did it for exposure. I don't know about Robinson.

I know with Dancing With the Stars, a lot of the athletes who have gone on there have used that as a springboard for television work.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Mariah Carey on "Survivor."
    The meltdown would be spectacular.

6. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Johnson did it as he did Extenze commercials. He wants to help people. :)

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Who watched?

I loved how Rocker said his last name was Wetteland when the kid recognized him before fessing up.

Pretty good start, despite the forced drama of the husband vs wife challenge.

And nice stereotyping by the annoying "Amazing Race" twin, assuming that because Josh is gay, he's "one of the girls."

I was surprised that Josh expressed a bunch of angst about being the swing vote, then he voted for neither of the players targeted. That kind of indecision has hurt people in the past.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/9/25/6842523/john-rocker-survivor-recap-episode-1

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That was pretty funny. And Rocker was a beast in the challenge. As much as I disliked him before and after the SI article, he seems like he might be around for a while on Survivor.

10. RecoveringJournalist

I would have laughed harder if Rocker had said his last name was Franco or Rivera.

I haven't seen it yet. At least with Rocker, it's understandable when he's recognized. I think there have been some celebrities on there who there is no way anyone there could figure out who they are. Gary Hogeboom being recognized by a 20-something female from Kansas City was complete bullshit. Someone told her.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Before his racist tirade, I loved watching Rocker.

I've always loved the music they play when the relievers come out. Hoffman with Hells Bells may be the best ever, and Rivera and Enter Sandman was pretty fucking cool too, but I remember hearing, "I WANNA ROCK!" and Rocker running out like a maniac was good entertainment.

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Some of us want grace for the downtrodden but are the first to throw the bus on a guy like Rocker and dismiss him as being likeable. He insulted NY. NY has a lot to be insulted for. lol

Reckon had he said it about Kansas City or Dallas people would have given a shit?

Draft saved Draft deleted