1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Perrotto fired by Ogden

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Given that he was working for the Nuttings -- who have controlling interest of the Pirates -- can't say I'm surprised:

John Perrotto, the dean of Pittsburgh baseball writers, was fired this week from his job of covering the Pirates for Ogden Newspapers after less than a year. The 17-paper chain is owned by the Nutting family, which also has controlling interest in the Pirates.

Perrotto, never one to hold back his strong opinions, was told the newspapers were "going in another direction.’' He was not told what that direction was or whether his job would be continued.

In addition to covering the team for the newspapers, he also wrote a blog, "Pirates Report.’’ All evidence of that blog has been removed from the Internet.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/archive/2009/10/09/nutting-newspapers-fire-perrotto.aspx

Never met the guy, but I've always enjoyed his work. Best of luck, John.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Well, Pirates Report is still online. But I guess his blog part of the site was erased.

http://www.piratesreport.com/

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sucks. John deserves better.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's the wonder of working for Odgen...

5. tagline

tagline Member

John's a good guy. Here's hoping he lands somewhere even better.

6. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Wow. I know CNHI had some kind of deal with him and that site too. Poor guy.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

That photo of him in the windbreaker used by everyone that used him in syndication could have been a bit better, though.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Damn. That sucks, John's one of the good ones.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

yeah, it's the beat reporter's fault the pirates suck. idiots.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I wonder if it was more of a "Why are we paying a reporter to cover the shitty team we own, when we could use AP?"

Anyone who's worked for Ogden, or lived in a town with an Ogden newspaper, knows their newspapers have no interest in stirring it up, or offering analysis or opinion.

He did a great job this year, and really offered something different for that chain, as in a real reporter who can write. I bet if the Pirates (he also covered some Indians games) were good this year, he'd still have this job.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that when you write that the team owned by your employer should (this is a paraphrase but pretty close to one of his last reports) lower ticket prices because the product sucks will get you fired every time.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Perrotto is now EIC of Baseball Prospectus.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3899:baseball-prospectus-announces-sweeping-changes&catid=26:editorials&Itemid=39

Draft saved Draft deleted