1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Oliver's take on print journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I think a large part of the populace at large would look at
    that last segment and say: "Oh, honey, how cute! Cat-racs!" :cool:

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, and I think circulation numbers would indicate that. They generally don't give a fuck.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Did David Chavern, president and CEO of the Newspaper Association of America, essentially tell John Oliver, "I don't want to hear problems. I want to hear solutions."?

Yep, I've heard that one before.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It was depressingly accurate. I love John Oliver, and it was funny.

Was Zell drunk? Never heard him speak before.

6. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

I always loved that one from managers. Hey, you're the one making several multiples of my salary. Shouldn't that mean YOU come up with the solutions?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That "What have you done for me lately?" shit doesn't go very far anymore, either.

8. nickp

nickp Active Member

From TRONC, to Sam Zell and Sheldon Adelson John Oliver nails it.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I stayed away from this for a few hours because I figured it would hit too close to home, but finally saw it (yes, Mr. Oliver, I saw it on YouTube) and thought it was outstanding. I guess what I really like is Oliver threw out the hard truths, with the usual biting humor, but conveyed that he really lamented what was happening and respected what local reporters do with their trudging to their government meetings and trying their best to keep up on the beat. I tend to hear some people commenting on the state of journalism today and essentially telling us we're too self-important and can't get out of the dark ages.

I especially liked how Oliver took aim at tronc and that stupid video that we all viewed on this site earlier this year. I guess Chavern didn't appreciate it all that much, but I think he's part of the group Oliver took dead aim on in his piece.

10. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, this isn't the first time John Oliver has lamented the fact that no one pays for news anymore. Should we go ahead and put him into the Journalism Hall of Fame or nah?

Steak Snabler likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's the first time I had ever seen Zell. Damn, he looks and acts like a miserable old fuck. Rusty chainsaw, etc.

As The Washington Post's Margaret Sullivan said, this was Oliver's love letter to newspapers.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Excellent! I've found my new avatar. I'm probably guilty of giving a similar look at the office many times.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted