1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Oliver's take on print journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Making the rounds this morning. It's 20 minutes long and I haven't watched it yet.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It is absolutely worth watching, assuming you haven't let your Rx for antidepressants run out. The whole thing is great, but it would have been worth it for this screenshot alone.

image.png

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't think I've devoted 20 consecutive minutes of thought to print journalism since I left it.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It's a neat segment but its nothing that hasn't been on this board for a half-dozen or a dozen years......how are his ratings? How many people does this really enlighten?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oliver is very good, very funny, if you like his flavor. (Also think Seinfeld has a man crush on him. It was a pretty decent Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.)

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you don't have time for the whole thing or just want a hit of laughing while you cry, fast forward to the parody Spotlight trailer at 15:28.

Songbird likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He gets something like 4 million viewers a week and then probably many more on social media. He's done a few takes on things that I had no idea about. I am sure there are plenty of people who will at least take some interest in it.

I have always wondered how much of an impact his stories have in the long term?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, it was very good.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That "Stoplight" segment at the end was nauseating. Because I've seen shit like that every week now.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think this was from 2008:

11. The Sam Zell the clip made my jaw drop.

No, its nothing new to most people here. But maybe it strikes a chord with Oliver's viewers.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think a large part of the populace at large would be educated by it if they actually stopped, listened and consumed it. I thought it was outstanding.

It didn't become less enlightening because we have personally lived through it.

Draft saved Draft deleted