1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Murtha, RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 8, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or get hit by a bus.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

beanpole, sorry to hear about your complications. My gallbladder was removed via laprascope in 1993 and it went so smoothly I couldn't believe it. Had it removed on Wednesday, walked four miles on Friday, played golf on Saturday. Was absolutely amazed.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

Thanks, tony, but it's all good now. Recovery was rough and I missed about 3 weeks of work, but now the only reminder is the ugly jagged scar that goes diagonally from my waist to just below my heart. I go to the pool and the kids stare -- and not in a good way!

5. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

A high school basketball official in my area had gall bladder surgery and died, 15 or 20 years ago.

The complication in his case, as it was explained to me later, was an error by the surgeon. Apparently, it was a laser procedure, and the surgeon somehow accidentally cooked the poor guy's liver with the laser.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yikes. I had the laproscopic procedure in 2001. I was in surgery at 1, home by 5, took a few pain meds and went to bed. I was up and around the next day and back to work the third day.

Four little incisions ... one in my belly button...all closed by surgical tape, and none visible today.

Let's wish the Murtha family peace and leave the political BS for another day.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, the old way, pre-laprascopic, was a bitch. I remember my mom having her gall bladder taken out in the early 80s and being in the hospital for about a week and then being really slow to recover for a couple more weeks at home.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I did not agree with his politics, but was sad to hear that he died. A huge political figure here in PA. And he reminded me of my dad, who passed away in December. I just think it was because they were from the same era.

Now they're saying that his intestines were nicked during surgery. No doubt infection set in. Similar again to how my father died.

Too bad. A huge loss for his family, I'm sure.

Just like my dad.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You'll have to take a number. And the line at that particular deli is very, very long.

I have numerous "other priorities" far more imporant than mourning Mr. Five Deferments.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I prefer to deal in absolutes. John Murtha had 2 Purple Hearts. That's good enough for me. RIP to a great American.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I believe that, no matter what anyone may have thought about his politics, he represented his constituents well.

The strides Johnstown has made since the collapse of the steel industry there and the crippling recession of the early 1980s can be attributed largely to Jack Murtha. And I'm sure there are more than a few people in Johnstown who are wondering what will happen to their city now that he is gone.

RIP, Rep. Murtha.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I had my gall bladder out about five years ago. Had it out on a Wednesday and was back to work on Monday (though I could probably have worked on Friday had they let me).

At the same time, my grandfather needed his taken out for about the last five years of his life (he was 82 when he died from something unrelated), but they wouldn't do it because his heart wasn't strong enough to stand the anesthesia. I wonder if Murtha had similar issues ...

Draft saved Draft deleted