1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Murtha, RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/08/john.murtha.obit/index.html?hpt=

Didn't see another thread on this, but I've been wrong about that before.
    Complications from gallbladder surgery.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My condolences to his family.

But I'm not sad to see him go -- he was exhibit A of everything that is wrong with our current political system and that has nothing to do with the fact that he was a leftie.

If the people of Johnstown and surrounding areas weren't smart enough to send this blowhard home, well, I suppose someone upstairs finally tired of his act and did the job for him.

I'm not celebrating the man's death so spare me that -- I wish he'd have retired and enjoyed another 80 years with his friends and family.

I am celebrating the fact that he will no longer hold this state, his district and anyone who ohas the audacity to question him hostage with his bully pulpit any longer.

4. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I don't care what you're celebrating...couldn't you wait a couple days before trying to fill his damn seat?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Stay classy. (As I await the inevitable foaming-at-the-mouth reaction)

6. zagoshe

Grrrrrrrrr, ggrrrrrrrr, I'm the angry man....... :p

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I know the guy was in his 70s but that doesn't seem like the kind of surgery that would cause enough complications to kill somebody unless there was a screw up in the procedure or the patient had some underlying health issues.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sure you are, blowhard.

9. zagoshe

Yes, yes, I'm glad this asshole is dead!!!

See, THAT would be celebrating his death, chief.

At one point John Murtha stood for the right things -- at some point in the last 20 years, however, he became far more interested in representing John Murtha and his cronies than the people who elected him and the people he was asked to serve, chief.

That doesn't change just because a guy dies.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Dick Schaap died of complications from hip replacement.

You're one random air pocket from dropping dead during any routine non-invasive surgery. Conceivably you could die in the dentist's chair.

11. cortez

cortez Member

I don't begrudge him. I mean, I'm gonna dance a fucking jig the day Dick Cheney keels

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

zag, I'm not one of those that faces off against you on a regular basis, but this shot was way too soon and that's why people are reacting.

I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago and it was a bitch. Mortality rates were less than 1 percent, according to my doc, but my laproscopic procedure went bad and my surgeon had to bail out halfway through and cut me open.

Putting politics aside, Murtha's death from such a routine surgery is a shocker. But it has nothing to do with God deciding to wield a hand in U.S. politics. And had I bought the farm, two years ago, it would have had nothing to do with God being pissed about something I wrote or edited.

That is all. I'll go back to my regular lurking.

Draft saved Draft deleted