1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John McCain's phoniness: The Gift that Keeps on Giving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 30, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm in the nuts and oats section for sure.

2. Or if they wanted someone with a sub 4th grade education and no accomplishments - they could nominate you

3. RedSmithClone

OK children that's one demerit each on the blackboard.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The hell do I get one for? I didn't resort to cheap, though hilariously stupid, personal insults.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It was quite clearly a joke. Kind of gave it away when he drew it out, "Fifty...........seven states?" followed by a little smile as he's looking down at his notes.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

McCain HAD a son in Iraq.

He has been home since mid-February.

Doesn't really matter, since McCain's gaffes about Iraq (Iran sending Al Qaeda to Iraq, surge levels) are there for everyone to see. And for someone who HAD a son over there, it just makes his ignorance of the situation there all the more inexcusible.

7. God Damn America then.

Oh sorry - wrong candidate.

8. RedSmithClone

OK, now let's all be serious here. He slipped and said Iran was sending AQ to Iraq. The fact is that Iran is shipping and getting weapons used against Americans into the hands of those fighting the US. So they aren't shipping actual people over there. Who gives a flying fuck. They are helping the cause with weaponry.

So F you all if you want to knock the guy for a slip of the tongue, but in so doing you are ignorantly ignoring the fact that Iran is helping the enemy in Iraq.

Good night, and good luck.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I agree with Chris. McCain should be the president because he has a relative in the military.

His cabinet, no doubt, should be made up of the parents of these kids:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/runforthefallen/sets

And, of course, he can fill various executive branch posts with the parents of the kids who'll die over the next 100 years he plans for our soldiers to spend in Iraq.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He also doesn't know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites, and doesn't know who Iran's actual leader is. Those are somewhat important pieces of knowledge, don't you think?

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

This post is a perfect example of what the right wing has resorted to.

On one hand, you've got a longtime U.S. Senator who doesn't even understand key, key points of the two biggest issues facing the country right now in Iraq and the economy.

On the other, you've got Obama, a brilliant, young, charismatic guy that the Republicans have no clue how to run against. He doesn't have a long Senate voting record to parse and attack. His positions on the war have been consistent from the beginning and fall very much in line with American sentiment. They really have absolutely nothing substantive on which to attack him.

So what are we hearing?

Flag pins. Whether his hand was over his heart for the pledge. Pastors. For fuck's sake, Fox News has devoted the entire last 24 hours to this Father Pfleger character. Add it all up, stack it all up, pile it up high and it still has nothing to do with the job -- and it is, after all a job -- of being president.

So, excuse me, but a flag pin? Are you fucking serious? The other guy doesn't even know the basics of the Middle East. Please try to tell me how a flag pin is more important than knowing the difference between Muslim sects or what our current troop levels are in Iraq.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Hey, Bush didn't know the name of Pakistan's president. It's not like it hurt him.

Draft saved Draft deleted