1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John McCain's Double Bind

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 10, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Actually my wallet is pretty damn good considering the job field we got into.
    And again, I think I have made it clear that I disagree with a good chunk of his economic policies. Well at least the borrow and spend portion.
    And I would gladly have paid more taxes if they proposed that during a time of war.
    What else?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Speaking of binds, Grandpa John may wish to hire a moderator for his Web site.

http://store.johnmccain.com/ReviewsList.asp?ProductCode=FDR2583&Reviews=Y

3. Ok, Red, let me put it this way — using the Reagan logic.
    Since Reagan left office, we've had two Bushes and a Clinton in the White House.
    During whose term was the country in the best shape?

4. RedSmithClone

That's hilarious. Some people have way too much time on there hands.

Oh wait, the same could be said for us I guess.

5. RedSmithClone

I would say since Reagan the best situation for all was with Clinton the dem in the White House and Newts Republican Congress.

Is that what you were expecting?

6. That's an answer I can live with. Of course, I'd have liked to see what Clinton could have accomplished if he'd had a Democratic congress for more than two years.
    I know, I know — it would have been terrible, I'm sure.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Moddy might be the only one who agrees with me here but why so many political threads? I know its an election year, I don't need any snark, but can't we condense some of these?

We only have one NBA playoff thread but about 11 million political threads, and we're sports journalists for chrissake.

8. RedSmithClone

I honestly don't think it would have been as fiscally conservative. I think those two units worked well together for the couple years. I think they are a model for what both parties can do if they work together on the majority of issues instead of trying to one-up each other with meaningless political moves.

I think McCain, who has worked hard on both sides of the hall, would be in a similar position Clinton was in. I think he might actually accomplish some good with this congress. they would both check and balance each other while also compromising a lot better than the current administration.

That's one big reason my dream ticket is McCain-Lieberman. Although as we have discussed on other threads it's not going to happen. As much as the Dems have begun to turn on Joe, he is still a Liberal in every true sense. He just agrees with McCain on fighting the terrorists. That has blacklisted him with the Dems. And I think wrongly. He has fought for their cause since he started in politics, and to be shunned over one disagreement is absurd and shows just how liberal liberals can't be some times.

9. RedSmithClone

Well, as sports journalists we don't get much opportunity to vent about other stuff. This is our outlet.

I don't know how you feel, but when I go to a family gathering all I get is sports talk. Just because I work in this field doesn't mean that's all I care about. And I am sick of hearing fanboi shit, even in my own family.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I wish anyone in my family knew anything about sports. Holidays usually end up with the Democrats yelling at the Republicans. When that's over, many argue about Wal-Mart, and other things that I would rather not listen to. This is why I will never complain about sitting at the kids table. (I look forward to the young person jokes already).

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You mean except for shutting down the federal government and a pointless impeachment trial that never had the votes to convict?

Right?

Draft saved Draft deleted