1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John McCain's Double Bind

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think he should just concede the election right now and save everyone a lot of trouble

2. markvid

markvid Guest

This just bothers me that this country is to the point where you have to base your VP choice not on will they do a good job and be a good President if need be, but who will piss off the fewest amount of people.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Agreed.

If McCain didn't have anything to worry about. I would bet anything he would pick Lieberman.

4. Just sayin' ... if gravitas is the issue (and I obviously don't think it is), Byrd wins against anybody out there hands down now that Strom Thurmond is resting in peace!!!!

And I agree, McCain might as well call it a day :) He admits he doesn't know economics, he wants to stay in Iraq for 100 years and he's got Bush hanging around his neck. Hard to see how he overcomes all of those obstacles.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, McCain has nothing to worry about ...

except losing the electoral college by 60 votes.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Pres/Maps/Jun10.html

6. RedSmithClone

Right the 100 years trick. TRY AGAIN.

7. You're not denying McCain made the 100 years comment are you?

Here's the "I don't know much about economics" comment, in case you missed it originally. This video also covers McCain's claim that Baghdad is so safe he can walk through a downtown market ... with choppers overhead and the U.S. military covering him like shit on stink!

8. RedSmithClone

YOU ARE SPINNING HIS COMMENT TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE WE WILL BE FIGHTING ENDLESSLY FOR 100 YEARS.

It's not going to work.

We still have bases in how many nations we have fought in? That is what he is saying. That we will likely still have a place there for a long time.

God you are such a boob sometimes.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Of course, those nations WANT us there.

10. RedSmithClone

That is not the point of this argument. You may be right that they don't want us there, but at the same time even you admit that was McCain's intention, not that this war would be 100 years long. No?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh, you're right about the point of the argument. But still, what do you think is going to happen if we maintain a presence where we aren't wanted?

So, even if the point of his statement is misinterpreted, isn't it fair to assume that's what it'll lead to?

12. Iraq isn't Germany or Korea, which is what I think you're saying he really means? McCain is in Iraq for the long haul to "win," whatever that means. That's what I get from that 100 years comment. Obama, OTOH, was against the war from the outset and will get our troops out of that quagmire. The positions of the two major candidates are very much clear and the polls show Americans overwhelmingly prefer getting out of Iraq sooner rather than later. I'm just being honest – McCain said it himself – he has to get the close to 70 percent of Americans against the war to change their minds by November to have a chance.

From the Feb. 26 NYT:
    ROCKY RIVER, Ohio — Senator John McCain said Monday that he needed to convince the American people that the troop escalation in Iraq was working and that American casualties there would continue to decline. If he did not, he said, “I lose” the election.

“Is there any doubt?” Mr. McCain said to reporters on his campaign bus.

But then he pulled back from his blunt assessment. “Let me not put it that stark,” he said, explaining that he believed people would judge his candidacy on his ability to handle the economy, which has emerged as a pre-eminent voter concern, as well as on national security.

Nevertheless, Mr. McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, made clear that he believed his prospects in November would rest in large measure on the way the situation in Iraq played out.

“If I may, I’d like to retract ‘I’ll lose,’ ” he said. “But I don’t think there’s any doubt that how they judge Iraq will have a direct relation to their judgment of me.”

Draft saved Draft deleted