1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Madden retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Collinsworth is the only logical choice. He left the No. 1 team at FOX to be part of NBC's crew again and he's really underused in that overcrowded studio. His work on the NFL Network games as a color guy is excellent and on the few NBC games he got to do. He breaks down plays well and isn't afraid to be critical when he thinks it's warranted. I suspect he was named heir-apparent some time ago.

As for Madden, no question he was a legend. Look at how many ex-coaches and ex-jocks struggle to make the jump to the broadcast booth. But, yeah, 73 is no spring chicken and I understand he wants to take things at a slower pace.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I heard the "After 30 years calling NFL games and being the face of a video game juggernaut...I thought "oh God no." I was so relieved he was only retiring. I'm glad he's going to have some time to get serious about the grandpappy business. I also hope he finds some time to help Al Davis straighten out the Raiders.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I believe the stories today said he'd actually made the decision last week, so the Kalas thing didn't affect it.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Collinsworth is excellent. As much as I loved Madden, even after he "lost some on his fastball," Collinsworth will be an upgrade.

5. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

I used to love watching Madden stalking up and down the sideline with his Raiders teams, chain-smoking back when you could do that on the sideline.

Madden's NFL playing career died fast, but only because of a blown knee.

He was a terrific and inspirational coach, though. His teams kicked ass every year.

Many will remember him best as an announcer, but I remember him best as a coach. The best coach the Raiders ever had, with teams that played hard and fast.

Madden's Raiders feared no other team. I think he knew how to pound that thought home. You could hear it in his broadcast voice, too: He always wants to see good, tough, smashmouth football.

A big, soft guy to look at. But a hard, tough coach who likes aggressive football.

What a guy. I bet he and John Wooden could talk for hours and days.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hearing Kasem's ads for AT40 on XM is sad...especially the immediate juxtaposition to his '70s heyday.

As for Madden, didn't someone here predict that the one-game absence last season was a sign of things to come and a way for NBC to begin greasing the skids for his departure? I want to say it was Poindexter. Whomever it was, nice call.

I won't miss Madden--the big dirty secret is announcers are woodwork, we're all going to watch football anyway b/c we have money riding on the game or players on our fantasy team in the game--but I always kind of worried he wouldn't retire well, if you know what I mean. I hope he proves me wrong and enjoys 20 or more years...or, as Dan Oregon says, finds a way to fix the Raiders.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

With what I imagine his diet has been.... 73 years is a goddamned miracle.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If he makes it to 85, I will never fly in an airplane again.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

just wondering where madden's retirement announcement ran in papers around the country. i'm a big fan but was shocked to see the dallas morning news put the story on the front page.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Page 2 here.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

The Washington Post put it on page 5 of the sports section. I was surprised it didn't make the sports front.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and to be clear, when i say front page in the dmn, i mean a-1, not front of the sports section.

Draft saved Draft deleted