1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Madden retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No more than you. Hey, it's the truth.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ask us about Bob Trumpy. :)

Oh, I will miss Madden's inner hatred of Pittsburgh.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Madden drank like Pat.

4. jps

jps Active Member

probably not - but pat hasn't been drinking in many years.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's just sad to hear him on the Cotton Bowl now, getting names wrong and missing plays.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's like hearing Kasey Kasem.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You may think he's anti-Steeler, but I don't hear any pro-Bengal in him. Or Esiason for that matter. Very much the opposite.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Collinsworth seems like kind of a prick, but you are right he is very good.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Found the timing, coming just after the schedule was released, might have played a part in the decision, but Sunday Night Football doesn't go west of Dallas this year at all. I'd like to see Madden officially hand off the gig to Collinsworth at the Hall of Fame Game. It would be fitting. Hope he still contributes a bit here and there. One of the greats. Anyone know how much he makes off of Madden football?

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Gotta be a ton. Madden is, I believe, the top selling video game franchise ever.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And while Madden isn't heavlily responsible for the success of the game, I just don't see people flocking to EA NFL Football 09 the way they do to "Madden" - his name has become like Kleenex, Rollerblades and Coca-Cola.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heard an interesting point on sports radio (shocking!) -- Madden is 73, Kalas was 73. Madden's decision probably was in the works for a while, but Kalas' passing could have hit home on some level.

Draft saved Draft deleted