1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Madden retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Collinsworth would be a good guess considering he did the one NFL Sunday Night Game that Madden didn't do last season.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Kind of like a source confirmation. Thank god both of them will be gone.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You think they'll ever change it? "Madden Football" is a brand name now, not just a football game endorsed by a celebrity football figure.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Said on ESPN earlier that indeed it will be Collinsworth.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Damn. I was hoping Dennis Miller was ready for a comeback.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't think they would ever change the name, even when it gets to the point that they have to do it without his voice.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I just never thought Madden was all he was cracked up to be in the booth. Anyone can look at an isolated replay, then draw lines on a screen and scream, "Watch how this back gets through the hole." That doesn't add anything for viewers who are trying to figure out why a play succeeded or failed. Tell me WHY the linebacker wasn't where he should have been.

Whatever . . . enjoy your retirement, John.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Cincinnati.com (Cincinnati Enquirer site) reporting Collinsworth will replace Madden.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=5c49394b12564ab6832411d82ad3a991&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a5c49394b12564ab6832411d82ad3a991Post%3a6aff5266-b4c8-456b-b8d7-1d86eb45738a&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

An aside ... Jerry Rice was no joke.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I like Collinsworth in the booth over most anyone, except when he does Steelers games. That's when the Bengal in him comes out and he suddenly starts calling the game with a slant to it. Otherwise, he's fine.

I'm going to miss Madden. The guy could breakdown a play, see what went right or wrong and tell you why it went right or wrong. Not everyone in the booth does that. And at least he got to go out on a high note -- with a Super Bowl that might rank among the best all-time. His voice after Santonio's touchdown went somewhere I rarely heard it go ... just pure excitement for being there at that moment.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You fuckers are insufferable.

12. jps

jps Active Member

interesting to me that, really, in a few interviews with pat, he didn't seem to be a huge fan of madden. professionally they got along fine and it there was a high level of respect there. I just kind of got the feeling like they didn't relate at all outside the booth as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted