1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Lowe retires in Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Oct 23, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Didn't see this yet...

Detroit Free Press losing a quality baseball writer. John Lowe is retiring after 29 years at the Freep. Moving to Austin, Texas for non-journalism work down there.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2014/10/22/john-lowe-detroit-tigers/17716415/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He got a shout-out from Fox last night, Buck and Verducci. A couple of minutes, I think in the seventh inning.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was covering the Dodgers for the Santa Monica paper when John got the beat for the L.A. Daily News (1982??). If I recall correctly, he was late for his first spring training because he still had to graduate from college.
    Lots of stories about him continually on the phone with the syndicate that Gammons set up with 7 or 8 other writers. His roommate in Vero Beach kicked him out of the room because the phone was always tied up. I remember him sitting in the hallway outside the cafeteria at Dodgertown talking on a house phone well into the night. I remember us leaving a spring night game in ... Winter Haven (??) ... and he was sitting in the press box by himself on the phone. There was one light on so it was just him, the phone and about a million moths. We joked that he was the highest-paid writer in the country, if you considered his phone bill. His dedication is unmatched. Good luck, John.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Good luck and godspeed to John Lowe, who looked out for me whenever Detroit came to town. He certainly was big time, but he never acted that way.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

John was one of the hardest and more responsible baseball writers I ever had the pleasure to deal with. I wish him well in whatever he decides to do next and I'm sure he will be successful at it.

Dan Castellano

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

A nice tribute from Jon Paul Morosi

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/iconic-baseball-writer-john-lowe-s-exit-felt-throughout-game-peers-102314

7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Very nice tribute from "the Pope."

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Quirky son of a gun, but a hard worker who was always willing to help others. Tough loss for this business. All the best to him in his new life.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Quirky is a very good work for John. But very nice man, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted