1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Lewis Does His Simon Peter Imitation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 28, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This article does a pretty good job explaining the situation.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8734.html

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Something Happening Here ...........

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We must be way ahead of the curve here. I thought this was a done deal weeks ago.

Old news.

4. Boom_70

Fenian I am surprised that you of all people would make such an unenlightened observation. I think it is just the opposite. What you are seeeing is people thinking for themselves instead of voting based on what they are told to do.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That's funny, he called me out for the same thing a while back. I decided not to respond because I was in no mood to have a pissing match over Lewis. I've said my peace, and that's that.

I'll say this, regardless of his credentials, he better be sincere for jumping on the Barack bus. Ditching HRC now can be seen, by pundits and critics, to be the white flag at half-mast for the ol' girl.

6. Boom_70

or put in sports parlance "the ship be sinking"

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, he moved, kinda sorta, from committed to HRC to sorta maybe uncommitted. Maybe, sorta.

Now, this.

I've met the man, actually spent some time talking with him once as we waited for a plane. I tend to agree with F_B on the principled thing. It was clearly paining him to find himself in the position where he felt compelled to shift gears.

8. Or maybe he thought, late, as I did, that there was an authentic movement going on. Indeed, the flowering of the work he did in getting his head broken on the Edmund Pettus Bridge. To reduce this whole thing to pure political calculus is to work your cynicism out on someone who has earned more than that.

9. Boom_70

quaint notion but please - in the end he is a politician .

10. Your mind-reading skills are as reliable as your punctuation.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Fair or not, if he's a black congressman from the south and he doesn't cast his support for Obama, he's going to face "uncle tom" accusations. In the district he represents (which is majority black), whether the criticism is valid or not, that would make his electibility less ironclad. Yes, he has earned better, Fenian, but to ignore the racial facets of this is to dicsount the elephant in the room.

12. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted