1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Lewis Does His Simon Peter Imitation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 28, 2008.

1. And Lewis gains what from this?
    He's a congressman from that district until he doesn't want to be any more. You said he did it "to save his political ass." Please explain how that was on the line here, ever.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I lack any knowledge of Lewis' political situation, but I did hear someone say on TV last night that his district went 3-to-1 for Obama, and that with him and some other African-American Hillary supporters, there was concern about how it all would play out with Obama as the nominee. If that's the case, I understand it and wouldn't find it particularly craven. It's not like their stands on most issues are all that different.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

“After taking some time for serious reflection on this issue,” Lewis said in his statement. “I have decided that when I cast my vote as a superdelegate at the Democratic convention, it is my duty…to express the will of the people,”

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So if they're tied then what?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Cockatrice?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

His people voted 3-1 for Barry over Hillary

7. "His people."
    "Barry"
    Don't need that Enigma machine I brought along. The black people are gathering, 'yab. Run and hide.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lewis has a primary opponent, a local pastor who is a big Obama guy. The analysis I have heard was that Lewis was concerned it could have become an issue. I think to a larger point, much of the traditional black leadership in this country sees an Obama nomination and/or presidency putting a big dent in their national relevancy.

9. Lewis is not a member of the "traditional black leadership" except that he did so much during the Movement. He's a fairly standard pothole-congresscritter. That was how he beat Julian Bond, back in the day, when Bond actually was celebrity member of that leadership. I'd like to see some actual evidence that Lewis's seat was in any kind of real danger.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here ya fenian - meet Markel Hutchins - sounds pretty formidable to me. Also an Obama supporter which is in line with district.

Fenian face it its a new paradigm. The 60's are gone and not coming back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markel_Hutchins

11. And the odds of Obama campaigning for brother Hutchins would be?
    Tougher race than I thought, but still long odds, Boom.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Would have been longer had John stayed with Hillary. Here is an AJC story.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/politicalinsider/entries/2008/02/20/john_lewis_no_longer_groovy_hu.html

Draft saved Draft deleted