1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John L. Smith fired?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Nov 1, 2006.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone catch Mike Valenti's reaction to this?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nah, couldn't have been that... :D

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I did not, but I know who will NOT be coordinators next year:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

And what's up with the woman next to him (if, in fact, that is a woman)
    My wife saw her (Pat?) on TV last night and said, "Imagine what she looks like without makeup on. That's her fixed-up look."
    Guuhh.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why is Jimmy Carter in drag and what's he doing in East Lansing?

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Didn't Henry Blake go to Illinois?

[​IMG]

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nicely played with the Teddy Ruxpin (I thought that was him, anyway) pic.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ok, how much of this Perles stuff is a real possibility? I know he's on the ballot for Board of Regents and will likely win, but will he and his booster buddy really be able to stage a hostile takeover of the athletic department at Sparty U?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If George Perles is elected, fair play is fucked at Cow College. Joel Ferguson -- a long time Perles ally -- will help provide enough a power base that even if the two dont always get what they want, they can get great concessions. Mason's a lame duck when his contract's done, so even if they cant name the coach, they get a bite at the AD apple.
    Keep in mind, he took on John Dibiaggio as football coach, and won.
    What grinds my ass is that these clowns are quick to forget that George led them to probation and sued the university for wrongful dismissal, all while saying he loves MSU. All they know is he won a Rose Bowl; they forget the steroids.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, bull. If you underachieve at Florida, you sure as hell aren't gonna shine at Illinois. And recruiting victories? No such thing until you see how they play in college. And Illinois' sure haven't shown much. If they break even in any of the next three seasons, I'll be shocked.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If Perles is elected, he and Ferguson are in the driver's seat like fucking Mario Andretti.

If the Dems sweep the election, Ferguson will become the chairman of the board of trustees, commanding a 5-3 majority (including Perles and Faylene Owens, the WIFE of one of the dimwit trustees who voted in 1990 to give Perles the athletic directorship over the violent objections of John DiBiaggio, who was only president of the university - i tell you, this shit just never ends), and with such a majority, essentially he will have the power to fire anyone, and everyone, at the university within 10 minutes any old day he feels like it.

So every single person at East Hooterville, Michigan, will officially be on notice -- you either get with the progam, or you get gone.

Among the Perles nutbag-suckers in Michigan -- of which there are still an unbelievable number -- it's now fashionable to paint DiBiaggio as some kind of ivory-tower egghead who had a raging hard-on for college athletics (that may be partially true now, but that's due to the experience of working 5-7 years with the bunch of meat-brains running the athletic department) who carried on a vicious vendetta against poor innocent Perles because he just couldn't stand to see a Successful Football Man rise in the power structure.

Actually, DiBiaggio liked football as well as anybody, and his main objection to Perles being named athletic director was the fear that once he became his own boss, responsible to nobody else besides himself, Perles would kick back, plant his ample ass deep in the La-Z-Boy, kick his heels up on the desk and coast for about the next five years (as he had done after his PREVIOUS dalliance with the NFL).

Sure enough, after being named athletic director, Perles went 13-34-1 for the rest of his football coaching career. Point, game, set, match, end of argument. And THIS is the fucker they want to install, in essence, in control of the whole fucking university.

Draft saved Draft deleted