1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John L. Smith calls out Zook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Smith comes off looking like an idiot here. He's ripping a guy who took a key member of his staff and defeated him on the field this year as well, basically sealing his fate as a guy who was going to be fired. His whole argument is "they're doing too well, so they must be cheating". Zook can sell three things: playing time being easily available, the fact he put together the core of a title team at UF and is supposedly going to do it again, and the fact he has exactly zero disciplinary standards so once they're in C-U they'll be able to do whatever they want (remember the recent recruit comment about Zook "not being an uptight white coach" - that's what he means). Seems like a reasonably appealing option for some kids to me.

Zook may be cheating his ass off, but Smith provides nothing to substantiate it. Turn Zook in to the NCAA if you've got something, or give a reporter a tip as to where to dig to find something. There needs to be some actual meat in the sandwich if you're going to take a shot like that publically.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Smith IS an idiot. At least for him, the argument "they're doing too well, so they must be cheating," never came into play. :eek: :eek:

He was the worst Big Ten coach I've seen in decades -- at least since the previous idiot, Bobby Williams, the Sparties had wearing the clown suit on the sidelines. :D :D

Horrible coach, goofy personality, runs his mouth nonstop -- I think we may have found the next Lee Corso. :D

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Glad you qualified that...

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Paging Bruce Pearl, paging Bruce Pearl. Deon Thomas is on the other line with Jimmy Collins...

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dear Mr Smith:

In regard to recent comments on Illinois football, I am compelled to respond with the following:

In the name of Red Grange, are you out of your fucking mind? Jesus H Christ

This is a team that has gone 8-38 over the past four years.

A team that lost not only to Ohio State, but to Ohio, too.

A team whose only 2 bowl appearances of any significance over the past quarter century have been losses to the tune of a combined point total of 92-43.

Can you at least let them get good first and enjoy a modicum of success before the NCAA re-opens their Urbana auxiliary branch office?

On behalf of all Illinois alums, I'd like to offer you an endless supply of mugs of STFU. Normally, we'd also make them cold and frosty, but you're such a douchebag, you get yours luke warm

Signed

Captain_Kirk

P.S. If you want to talk cheating and Illinois football, Mike White would make Ron Zook look like a Sunday school teacher.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

For bullshit artists, lying is doing nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted