1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Kerry supports the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Now that it's under discussion, although Kerry didn't bring it up, 3bags, are you saying that the Army hasn't lowered its standards due to a slowdown in recruiting, because I seem to have read somewhere that it has.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How much did Karl Rove pay Kerry to do this a week before the election?

3. The key test is how much of this fake controversy will the people who should know better in our business swallow?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

He seems to be saying, by extension, that if you are 'stuck in Iraq' you: Did not make the most of your education, you did not study hard, you did not do your homework, you did not make an effort to be smart and you did not do well.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

DIdn't say you were. But I make it a point every time I become aware of someone's service to thank them.

In airports, bars, on the street, anywhere. A few weeks back a guy was in a bar with an Air Force jacket on. I told him his and his girlfriend's next drink were on me. They were a bit taken aback but appreciative of the gesture. And I was glad to do it.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I can kind of agree with you, Fenian. But then this is only about the 3,985,809th "fake controversy" of the last two months.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Well, I am seriously worried about the state of this profession then, because not only did you completely misrepresent what Kerry said, you completely misread what I asked and completely misinterpreted the response from Kerry.

Never did he say the troops were stupid. Never has he denied saying the words. I never asked if you understood what context meant.

That's the trifecta. Congratulations.

And the "two" excuses you mention are actually one. It was a joke about the president, who is, in fact, an idiot.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

C'mon, dude. A guy who was thisclose to being commander in chief let it slip exactly what he thinks of the troops serving in Iraq. It's not the end of the world, but it is a major fuck up.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Probably the same number who swallowed the "Rush Limbaugh mocked Michael J. Fox's illness" fake controversy.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, I don't know where in the hell they would've gotten such an idea ...

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Out of context!

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Here are the standards http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards2.htm

They may very well have been relaxed, but from what I do not know.

And FB, note that I have not mentioned Kerry's comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted