1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Kerry supports the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not looking for thanks.

Sorry.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Uh, tony, I don't know what position you hold in the field of journalism, but I sincerely hope that it is not one in which one of your duties is to conduct interviews. Because he actually said exactly what you're claiming he didn't say, and even as out of context as the quote is, he didn't come close to saying what you claim he did.

Damn.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

McCain:
    "Senator Kerry owes an apology to the many thousands of Americans serving in Iraq, who answered their country’s call because they are patriots and not because of any deficiencies in their education. Americans from all backgrounds, well off and less fortunate, with high school diplomas and graduate degrees, take seriously their duty to our country, and risk their lives today to defend the rest of us in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere.

They all deserve our respect and deepest gratitude for their service. The suggestion that only the least educated Americans would agree to serve in the military and fight in Iraq, is an insult to every soldier serving in combat, and should deeply offend any American with an ounce of appreciation for what they suffer and risk so that the rest of us can sleep more comfortably at night. Without them, we wouldn’t live in a country where people securely possess all their God-given rights, including the right to express insensitive, ill-considered and uninformed remarks."

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Poindexter: " "

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Once again, admission requirements should be mandatory for posting here.

Here's the official website of the Democratic Party. There's a llttle history there for our language challenged friend Tony.

http://www.democrats.org/a/party/history.html

Oh, and Tony, aren't you slightly embarrassed that a Canadian has to point out this to you?

And where is the word "idiot" used in Kerry's bad joke?

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, dog, I've covered a World Series, six NBA Finals and the last four Super Bowls, and a US Open, among other things. I've done my share and then some in this business. I know what context is and isn't. I've looked for what Kerry said before and after the golden quote and haven't been able to find it. But judging by Kerry's scatter approach to denying it (it's less than 24 hours later and he's already on his second or third excuse) he knows he stepped in it. First he tries to say he was talking about Bush. Now he's saying it was a joke he told badly. What next?

Kerry's a condescending idiot. They should have him in hiding this week with Pelosi and Reid.

7. old_tony

Cry as much as you like, your need for semantics shows, as I said earlier, you have nothing of substance to bring to the table.

Kerry: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

His words. He owns them now.

8. three_bags_full

Would a newspaper? Yes. Just like the military. And any other "working-class" profession.

I just don't understand why each time we talk about the military we talk about its poor level of education.

And I'm not trying to be offended. I have thick skin, and it's getting thicker by the minute around here. :)

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Clearly this quote was taken out of context.

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

He actually added "... or you can become President."

10. three_bags_full

Then, please explain it to me in terms I understand. And write slowly. I dont reed so gud.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. old_tony

So now we have the third excuse, as Kerry claims that a BS from Yale and an MBA from Harvard is not a good education. Good going, Johnny!

Draft saved Draft deleted