1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Kerry supports the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Angelides could have had JFK, RFK and Martin Luther King reincarnated to stump for him... and he wasn't touching Arnold.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fortunately, the Constitution still protects us from President Schwantz.

For the moment.

3. Yesterday on CNN:

BOEHNER: Well, Wolf, you have to understand that the generals who have been in charge of the Pentagon have been very resistant to change. It's the younger generals who understand this new force structure that we need to be -- to have the military of the 21st century. And so I think Rumsfeld is the right guy for the job, and I know the president supports him and I'm glad he does.

Why does Congressman Boehner, the second-highest member of the GOP House leadership, hate our brave generals?
    (Oh, and no answers containing the word "misspoke" or the phrase "out of context" are permitted. New rules.)

4. Wow. PT Barnum was right.
    I'll take him the Senate race right now, provided he runs .
    Your problem is that there is no Republican "field." Unless you think the scary lady Lt. Gov. has another brilliant statewide race in her.

5. If proof was ever needed that you are stuck in a time warp - this is it.

There was a draft for the Vietnam war - all the soldiers in today's military are volunteers.

There was huge unemployment in the early 70's as the direct result of LBJ's failed economic and social policies. Kerry quoted double digit unemployment figures but today the unemployment rate is 5%. People don't have to join the military because they can't find jobs in an economy boasting of 5% unemeployment.

Oh and for good measure - here is another Kerry quote from 1971:

I think Bob Dole actually said what many think about John Kerry:

6. I said "the field" - not the Republican field.

Some Democrat like Tim Murray or Steven Lynch will run against Kerry and Kerry will lose. There is blood in the water and the sharks will be circling John "chum" Kerry. He'll wind up teaching a political science course in Hawaii with Mike Dukakis.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Charge: "Kerry, who understood well the importance that the media placed on imagery, put an exclamation mark on [a 1971 anti-Vietnam protest] by lining up with veterans to return their medals to the military on April 23. Kerry said he suggested that veterans place their medals and ribbons on a table and return them. But he said other members of the antiwar veterans group wanted to throw the medals and ribbons over a fence in front of the Capitol, and Kerry went along with the idea. … Some press reports say that Kerry 'threw his medals.' But Kerry has long maintained he threw his own ribbons but someone else's medals. In an interview, he said that he had previously met two veterans … who had asked Kerry to return their medals to the military. Kerry said he stuffed them into his jacket. He said that when he prepared to throw his ribbons over the fence, he reached into his jacket and pulled out the medals from those two veterans. He said his own medals remained in safekeeping" (Boston Globe, June 17, 2003).

"[Massachusetts] Republican State Committee Chairman Andres S. Natsios … accused Kerry of 'duplicity' in tossing away another veteran's medals, rather than his own" (Washington Post, Oct. 24, 1984).

Defense: In December 2002, The New Yorker reported that "Kerry had never implied" the medals he threw were his. "Indeed, the protesters that day had tossed all sorts of things—dog tags, photographs, discharge papers, insignia." Kerry's only mistake was that "he had complicated the story with an excess of honesty, recalling that he'd also tossed several medals that had been given him by veterans who were unable to make the trip."

In 1984, the Post reported that Kerry said "he had disagreed with the decision to throw away medals but agreed to toss those of another veteran at the man's request." In 1985, Kerry told the Post, "It's such a personal thing. They're my medals. I'll do what I want with them. … People say, 'You didn't throw your medals away.' Who said I had to? And why should I? It's my business. I did not want to throw my medals away."

In sum, Kerry seems innocent of duplicity but guilty of an extremely nuanced moral code, according to which it's OK to throw away your ribbons and somebody else's medals, but not your medals. As to the broader question of Vietnam, there's no dispute that Kerry fought honorably in the war and spoke out clearly against it upon his return.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Two words to explain the massive downshift in umemployment figures since 1971:

Fast food.

9. Two words to explain you - fucking moron.

Now run away and bother somebody else - adults are talking here

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Stop sucking your joint and wipe.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Fast food in America in 1970
    $6 bnillion in sales, zero drive-thru windows.

Today:
    $142 billion in sales

That takes care of an awful lot of unemployment that existed in 1971.

When you are qualified to be called a grown-up, I will let you know. Not a minute beforehand.

12. The computer hardware and software industries had how many million in sales in 1970? How much today?

I'm not kidding when I say I think you are a moron.

A moron in the clinical sense

Draft saved Draft deleted