1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Kerry supports the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When they change their name to the Democratics, you might have a point. Until then, you're just showing you have nothing to say.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Kerry's botches are almost second to none (insert NASA sperm head pic here), but he clearly was not talking about the troops. Translated, if you don't do your homework and study hard, you'll get a D- in Presidency 101.

(Insert Kerry quote here while Boom is out buying Halloween candy.)

Non-story.

PS--Bay Buchanan looks like a living halloween mask.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I respect people who go into the military as much as I respect people who go into any other career, and I certainly will acknowledge that you know more about it than I do. I know that many soldiers have or are pursuing a college education. I will also say that judging by the thousands of Fort Bragg troops I observed and interacted with growing up next door to post, the MINIMUM STANDARD for entrance into the military is not very difficult to achieve, and I think you will agree that the benefits (excluding getting stuck in Iraq) are pretty good. This makes it an appealing career for people without a lot of skills, which is all I am saying or implying. It's why poor people generally fight the wars for the rest of society.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This only proves that Kerry has the biggest political tin ear of any national politician...since, I don't know when. He literally has no idea of his public persona and that while he intended the comment as a witty remark, it certainly didn't come off that way.

And 3BF is right. The notion of the poor and uneducated being shipped off to fight is a relic of the draft and Vietnam. Today's armed forces are much more educated than its previous editions.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No one said soldiers were uneducated.
    No one said soldiers need an education.

It has been stated that those with only a high school diploma will find the best future available to them by joining the military. The implication being that they will become educated and learn skills to enable themselves to become better members of society.

Please, stop looking to become offended.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Has anyone ever seen Bay Buchanan and her warm and fuzzy brother together? I'm sort of convinced they're the same person....

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't ask you -- and no one here will ever read a post of mine that says so -- to respect the military more than any other career.

My entrance into the field of journalism was easier than my entrance into the military.

Explain that.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good Lord, we have to put with Tony's idiocy and now we have to provide remedial reading for him after school? Is English your first language or do you just speak Fredo?

Oh, and where did Kerry say the troops were "idiots" Source, please.

9. old_tony

TBF, if I haven't said so before, let me say now: Thank you for your service to our country. You're a great American.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

3B, I can't argue with you. I'm saying one thing, and you are arguing against something else.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Come on, man. You're looking for a reason to be offended when there's not one.

No one is knocking the soldiers. No one is saying soldiers are a dumb bunch. No one is saying that what soldiers do doesn't take incredible skill and a lot of smarts.

All anyone has said is that the military will gladly accept those who have little or no education, educate them in a variety of ways and transform them into useful employees and better people. Why is it that you're taking that as an insult?

12. old_tony

The Republicans are the Republican Party. The Democrats are the Democrat Party. You want the word Democratic because is sounds so noble. You don't get it just because you want it.

And since you apparently missed it,
    John Kerry: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

Draft saved Draft deleted