1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Kerry supports the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 31, 2006.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Exactly. McCain is demanding an apology and a retraction. You can also see the NBC affiliate report at this link:
    http://www.nbc4.tv/video/10195506/index.html

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you want to equate Kerry and some entertainment airheads as intellectual equals in the Democrat Party, have at it. He's not saying a lack of education might put you in Iraq. He's saying that our troops are idiots. He said it. He now owns those words no matter how hard you spin. And let's all remember: Kerry voted to send them to Iraq before he voted to cut their funding.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Implying that the uneducated could get stuck in Iraq is not disparaging our troops, it is telling the truth...something that has been foreign to the Bush White House for the past six year.

As an aside: The October death toll is now at 101 US troops, fourth deadliest month since the invasion began. And the 1,170 dead Iraqi civilians that have been counted is the ghihest since AP started track figures in May of 2005.
    But damn, we are going to win ths war!

A member of the U.S. 89th Military Police Brigade was killed Monday in east Baghdad, and a Marine died in fighting in insurgent-plagued Anbar province the day before, raising to 101 the number of U.S. service members killed in October, the fourth-deadliest month of the war. At least 2,814 American military personnel have died since the war began in March 2003.
    According to an Associated Press count, October has also recorded more Iraqi civilian deaths - 1,170 as of Monday - than any other month since the AP began keeping track in May 2005. The next-highest month was March 2006, when 1,038 Iraqi civilians were killed in the aftermath of the Feb. 22 bombing of an important Shiite shrine in Samarra.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

FDP, I normally agree with you.

I, and probably most of the other vets around here, too, find these comments pretty offensive.

Many, many, many more in the armed forces have an education than you think.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tony, every time you type the words "Democrat Party", you come off as a mouth-breathing idiot. The "Democrat Party" --as has been pointed out to you several times--does not exist except in the small little minds of Limbaugh and his followers.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm not saying that many people in the armed forces don't have an education beyond high school. I'm saying that for people whose education stops at high school or before, the military might very well be the best career option they have.

7. three_bags_full

I'm sitting beside a 34-year old non-commissioned officer -- with a college education, I might add -- who'd certainly disagree.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

He said the words, but as others have stated, they were taken out of context. He wasn't referring to the troops. He was talking about Bush.

That sentence was part of a line of jokes about the president. The Kerry camp has acknowledged that he should have included the words "getting us" in between up and stuck. So, it should've been, "... you wind up getting us stuck in Iraq." Really, though, it works the same with or without those words so long as you put it in context.

Sorta find it hard to believe that Kerry would say something that intentionally hurtful about the troops. And any person with a brain would agree. But then, he's a Democrat, so he must hate the troops.

For the record, exact same situation, I'd believe John McCain if he gave the same explanation. To me, those guys, when it comes to defense issues, are about equal.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

So, the military wouldn't accept those with little or no education?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He would disagree that for person with only a high school education, the military might not be one of the best career options available?

11. three_bags_full

The image you perceive of an uneducated soldier is one that is quickly disappearing.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My old man used to say, "Get an education or you'll end up working in the steel factories your whole life".

Was that disparaging steelworkers? Uh, no since my father was one for 42 years and was proud of every minute.

Didn't mean he didn't want a better life than that for his kids.

This, "he insulted the troops" --even taken out of context--is a desparate attempt by a party whose credibility is less than zero.

Draft saved Draft deleted