1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Kennedy assassignation --- 50-year anniversary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Been interesting seeing some of the anniversary coverage from an event that happened when I was too young to remember anything of it. NBC is doing a two-hour special tonight (9 pm ET).

Anyone old enough to remember what things were like? What the media coverage was like?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This is the first I've heard of it.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

John F. Kennedy had quite a few assignations.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bravo.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I was nine years old when President Kennedy was killed. I remember the day in school and the bus ride home very well. It was the first time I ever was aware of death and I thought it was a mistake and we would find that he was still alive.

I'm not sure about all of the memories since I was young and it was 50 years ago. The media coverage was cameras just covering events. I recall when the airplane landed at Andrews Air Force base. I was in my aunt's bedroom getting some pants measured for length when Oswald was shot. My aunt saw it but I was alone in the room changing to my regular pants. There seemed to be a lot of talking about Kennedy and the situation. I also remember they showed other world leaders, and I especially remember Eamon deValera, who was the president of Ireland.

One story about the coverage. There was a person named Robert Wussler who had worked at CBS for five years. It was a Friday afternoon and probably a number of senior producers might have left or had their week completed. Wussler was in the newsroom and, according to legend, took charge of the coverage. This made him a big shot at CBS and he later worked for TBS. His luster was dimmed in the 1970s when CBS listed a tennis match as winner take all when in fact both players (I think Conners was one) were paid expenses and a significant appearance fee.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-can-remember-exactly-where-he-was-what-he,34647/

a touching account from the Onion of a Langley, Va. man remembering where he was that day

Draft saved Draft deleted