1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Hughes Tribute Thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

There should be a John Hughes channel on cable just showing his movies. There is some slightly dated material in there - for instance the mutants that show up in Weird Science. Even if you don't get that they're direct ripoffs from Mad Max and The Hills Have Eyes, it's still funny. But, isn't every movie a little bit dated?

For my generation, John Hughes movies will never be outdated.

As for the art vs. entertainment argument with the Academy, I remember being irate on an annual basis - "Those Oscars are a bunch of crap. Porky's (or whatever) was clearly the best movie last year."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I enjoyed the tribute, but I can't help but wonder why they've never done anything similar to honor directors who are a lot more prominent than Hughes.

Did they do anything similar for Kubrick?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call Hughes unsung. He was very sung. He just dropped out.
    As for the quality of the work, I was ages 10 through 19 in the 1980s. I enjoyed his movies, which is more than I can say for the music of Journey.
    However, it's a nostalgia thing more than anything else. They have limited appeal to a lot of people who weren't a certain during that time.

4. the fop

the fop Member

Very well said. And as much as people dwell on the humor and the iconic lines, what doesn't get as much play is how poignant some of his work is. Like in "Planes, Trains..." when Neal realizes Del has nowhere to go. Or the family waiting in the maternity ward in "She's Having a Baby," with "This Woman's Work" playing, and Bacon's father in law winks at him.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'll take Planes Trains or Ferris any day over something like "My Left Foot".

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I could debate John Hughes films, but they were likeable and have held up well. Even my kids now liked Ferris Bueller.

And it was good to see Molly Ringwald.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think it also had something to do with the young actors he used who became outstanding actors. The very young Robert Downey Jr, John Cusak, and Matthew Broderick

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

At first glance, I thought this thread was "John Holmes Tribute Thread."

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This was a really good Vanity Fair story on Hughes, with a big focus on his life after giving up movies.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2010/03/john-hughes-201003

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

So did I.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The jock, the brain, the freak...the stunt cock?

12. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

Small Town Guy:

Thanks for the recommendation. A terrific read. Well worth the time.
    And when I cross Shermer Road on my drive to Northwestern tomorrow, I'll tip my proverbial cap to Mr. Hughes.

Draft saved Draft deleted