1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Hughes Tribute Thread.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Until last night was not even aware of who John Hughes was but I knew his movies. Some of my all time favorites - Ferris, Vacation, Uncle Buck.

Intrigued I did a little reading. The guy lived an incredibly full life. In last few years he became a farmer and kept a pretty low profile which seemed to be his style.

Truly the guy was an unsung comedic genius.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Made iconic, tho not necessarily great movie. Acting and dialogue painted with the broadest of brushes. And only slightly less dated than Saturday Night Fever

3. Boom_70

Anybody?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ferris?

Ferris?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

"no more yanky my wanky"

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

d_b: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72110/

8. Boom_70

Well said Junkie. A perfect summary of his work. You get the sense that there were a lot of his everyday experiences in his work.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's the eternal deal. Comedies NEVER win critical acclaim or Oscars when they're first released (exception: Annie Hall, but it's the only one), but comedies endure, and end up better regarded in critical HISTORY of movies. Hughes is an accepted part of the history of film in the 1980s, and the Academy acknowledged that, even though it would have collectively puked on its Guccis and Jimmie Choos to give him an award back then.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've always found it interesting that people focus on "The Breakfast Club," "16 Candles," "Weird Science," "Pretty in Pink," and "Ferris" with Hughes when the man also wrote "Vacation," "Uncle Buck," "The Great Outdoors" and "Plains, Trains and Automobiles."

Those last four movies endure as much for me as the first five, if not more so. Hughes was pretty darn good at creating characters that felt relateable, even if they were sometimes archetypes. He managed to capture not only the alienation and loneliness of teenagers, but also middle age men. I really love Plains, Trains and Automobiles.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know movies like Fletch, Caddyshack, Stripes, Blue Brothers, Animal House, etc... have all held up better than the movies that won Best Picture in the years they were released.

I know I'm in the minority and I've liked Woody Allen's films in the past, but I thought Annie Hall was one of his weaker efforts.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"The Donger need food!!!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted