1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Hollinger goes from ESPN to Grizzlies front office

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8745158/espn-columnist-john-hollinger-join-memphis-grizzlies-front-office

This seems to make more sense than our guy Chris Snow going from newspaper to general manager, but it still is interesting.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's some funny stuff in "The Extra 2 Percent" about how the Tampa Bay Rays are so secretive that when they poach stats guys from some of the baseball sites, the writer has to write cryptically to readers about "a great opportunity" and not identify in any way what job he's taking.

Guess the Grizzlies aren't that way.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It'd be fun to look back and see what Hollinger has written about the picks, signings and trades that led to the construction of the current Grizzlies, who of course are looking like a threat to win the West. He usually comments on most moves so I figure he's written about most of their moves. I think he wrote that it was a mistake letting Mayo go, who's lighting it up in Dallas.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Neither are any of the baseball teams, anymore.

Hell, the Astros have hired at least three Baseball Prospectus writers just this offseason. And Luhnow himself announced at least one of them on Twitter.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

To me, this is almost as significant as the Red Sox hiring Bill James as a consultant. That turned out pretty well.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

One more reason not to feel bad about not having Insider. Good for him.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Should read "John Hollinger and his scary eyes go from ESPN to . . ."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'd be remiss if I didn't remark upon a great opportunity for a fellow Wahoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted