1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Heidenry and Brett Topel are plagiarists and lawyers suck, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE - VICTORY!, sort of)

An update on the "win": The publishing company of the offending book refused to accept the terms hammered out by the lawyers and are trying to cut the money given out in half (meaning I think I might be able to buy a pack of gum and a Happy Meal when all is said and done) and also modify the part about getting back all the books out there and scuttling them.

Thus the fun continues ...

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not knowing any of your details, is the amount of money worth your silence? Maybe at this point, you'd get more satisfaction from just putting the story out there?

3. lantaur

You might be right ... presuming anyone cares about the story. :) Waiting to hear back from my lawyer concerning my reply. At that point, it might become a free-for-all.

4. lantaur

For anyone who cares, looks like this might be going to court. The offending publisher is sticking to its second "offer" (it had offered X amount, then recanted and said it would pay half that amount). Then, the offending publisher's lawyer said that publisher is "granted sovereign immunity from suit in United States federal court for actions based on federal causes of action - such as copyright infringement - under the Eleventh Amendment to the U.S. Constitution," which the lawyer for my publisher quickly refuted.

It's ridiculous how far this is going when it is so obvious how wrong the other writers were (and even worse, one of them is an adjunct professor!).

More as the situation develops.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#2 - Going to court?)

How can you be immune from plagarism?

6. lantaur

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#2 - Going to court?)

Just in case anyone cares (I mean other than me), it looks like a suit will be filed since the offending publisher is "not being reasonable" (my publisher's lawyers words). Quite frankly, I'm amazed how out of hand this is getting. Also note that my first post on this was from last July. Fun times.

7. Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#2 - Going to court?)

I hope you do take their ass to court and get a big chunk out of their ass.
    For someone to plagarize is bad enough. For their lawyer to act like they are just allowed to do so is even worse.
    Sue their ass, win, and make an overwhelming precedent even stronger.

8. lantaur

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#3 - Lawsuit filed)

OK, a long-awaited update ;) ... after much wrangling and trying to settle (unsuccessfully), the lawsuit has been filed vs. the publisher and the authors. Of course, both quickly contacted the lawyers my publisher hired and now the settlement process begins again more than likely.

Of course, since another lawyer was hired, those costs have risen. So bottom line is I might not get either my public admission/apology or any significant money. Yippee!

Maybe someday this will all be made public. The sad part is one of the authors (as I think I previously mentioned) has done this before and also has another book out (or just came out). Unreal!

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#3 - Lawsuit filed)

Good luck. I hope you're able to stick it to the thief.

10. lantaur

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#4 - Possible settlement)

I might be at the end of the line here ... a settlement has been offered and might be signed. Of course, the lawyers will get 75% of the money, then the publisher gets 50% of what is left over ... meaning I get peanuts.

However, the good news is our offer does not include a confidentiality agreement, so if it is accepted I will out the authors who did this (even if it outs me) ... and hopefully, maybe it will cause someone out there to shun their next book. Or better yet, write about this and give it some publicity (especially since one of these guys is a repeat offender).

Anyway, my goal was always to have the world (or close to it :)) know what these guys did, so hopefully this is close to happening (and perhaps someone out there in SportsJournalists.com world can help, too :)).

11. Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#4 - Possible settlement)

If they have a new book coming out they'll probably insist on a confidentiality agreement in a counter offer - for the very reasons you mentioned. You'll likely have to choose between money and revenge.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE#4 - Possible settlement)

You worked out a deal where the lawyers get 75 percent? And someone plagiarized YOU? Da-yum.....;D

Draft saved Draft deleted