1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Heidenry and Brett Topel are plagiarists and lawyers suck, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE - VICTORY!, sort of)

An update on the update: Basically, I was told the offending publisher refused to issue a public apology even if we asked for NO MONEY. Instead, they'll pay us off and take the book out of circulation - since in any settlement there is no admission of liability (hurray for our judicial system!). Of course I'm free to ignore this settlement and get my own lawyer, have the offending publisher drop their settlement and go through a long legal battle to get basically the same thing.

I've never been sadder to receive a lump sum of money in my life. But at the very least I know I was in the right. Too bad those authors will write more books without anyone ever knowing of their past deed.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Does your agreement with the offenders have a confidentiality requirement?

3. Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE - VICTORY!, sort of)

Congratulations...
    Buy some beer and pour a little on the curb in memory of your homies (or your now-dead and non-forthcoming apology).

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's what I was thinking. If not, feel free to spout off at will. We'll all be eagerly awaiting the goods.

Even if you are sworn to secrecy, it's good you're getting something. I'm glad the fight was worthwhile. :)

5. lantaur

I'm fighting for no confidentiality agreement. I'm not hopeful (since they could have just issued a blanket apology and not paid a cent to me). So I guess I might have to spout off - but off the record. ;) :) We'll see.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Congrats on the victory, but the publisher would much rather pay you off than admit to plagiarism. If they do that, they open themselves up to myriad other liabilities in the future - and perhaps the past - because they will be an acknowledged offender.

Take the money. In the business world, it means "Sorry" without actually saying it.

7. lantaur

Trust me, I unfortunately understand that. If I do get some money out of this, I told my wife I'm not putting it towards our mortgage or some bill - I'm going to spend it on something which when I look at it, will remind me that I was vindicated, at least in some fashion.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Big-screen TV. High-def. :D ;D

9. lantaur

If only: 1. It was that much money; 2. I already didn't have one ;) :)

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

One of the best places to spout off might be right here. It's amazing how many people read this site. Maybe you can out the bad guys without outing yourself.

11. lantaur

It'd be worth it. I PM'd some peope about it a while back and have no problem doing that with anyone else until I know if I have to sign a confidential agreement or not. If not, then look out! :)

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

probably a stupid thought if your settlement is not even enough for a nice TV but you could donate it to a j-school and earmark it toward a scholarship or to add to an endowed chair for whoever teaches journalism ethics. plenty of kids would be happy even with a few hundred bucks off tuition.

Draft saved Draft deleted