1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John from Cincinnati (July 15)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jul 15, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd give spoilers, if I only understood what was going or what had just happened.
    Trying to decide something about John from Cincy.
    Is it...
    A) The good-looking girl at party that is flirting with you, so you stick around just to see what happens
    B) Believe in your heart of hearts that it is going somewhere good
    C) Milch's prank on HBO for getting rid of Deadwood
    D) A deliberately confusing mess
    E) It is sad to see TV writers lose their minds

2. I'm just starting to watch tonight's episode and I have to say that the kid who plays Sean is by far a much worse actor than the Sopranos' AJ. It's like they cut an actor out of cardboard and put a blond wig on it.

3. So now he's channeling the dead? Has he been channeling the dead all this time?

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think my mind shut off when John had the gray dead guy from Room 24 over his shoulder.

I don't know what the hell happened and I'm not going to judge the show by this episode, but there's simply no way this gets picked up for another season.

5. Dedo

Dedo Member

It's still B for me. And this may or may not be obvious to everyone, but I'm pretty sure when he's talking about "my father," he's talking about God or some kind of God-like figure. If you watch that whole cookout scene with that in mind, it makes sense. Sort of.

And by the way, if Trixie from Deadwood was reincarnated and became an unbearably over-dramatic ballbuster of the 21st century, she'd be Cissy "Gram" Yost.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the kid who plays Sean and the girl who plays Kai are not professional actors. They are, in fact, professional surfers and skateboarders, who were cast because the show called for people who knew what they were doing on the water. Dude who plays Butchie was also a surfer, before going into acting.
    Of course none of that matters, because they've only had one major surfing scene and I don't think that Kai has been in the water yet. Supposedly being on the water plays a larger role down the line, it is also supposed to include some trippy special effects.
    I'm inclined to believe that the show is like getting hit on by a pretty girl. You enjoy the time, even though you don't always understand why it is happening. And at the end, if nothing happens, you still have a pretty good story to tell.
    I also think that this show is like reading a novel in that each chapter is not a self-contained story, but part of a larger story and that when you get to the end, it all makes sense. Unless the novel has Blue Van Meer in it, and then it doesn't.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I tried. I gave up last week. My head hurts enough from regular life.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

JayFarrar.....thanks for confirming "Sean" is a pro surfer, I was assuming that since the first episode .I keep asking myself why it was necessary to have a surfer.......I can remember 1 surfing scene, and that could have been any blond haired kid.

he is by far the worst actor I've ever seen........it's painful to watch. BUT, he'd play a great robot....maybe thats the hook? Sean is a robot surfer, and John is just an idiot.

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I'm still hooked! I really don't know what happened last night, but I think it's going to turn out to be awesome. I had my doubts in the beginning, but I'm really starting to like it.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While the show seems to have gone down some rather obvious routes with their characters and the development of John, I just can't seem to like any of them. Not a single one of the characters comes off as someone that I give a a shit about.

I will continue to watch the show and see what comes. The story itself is still unfolding. I'll give it more time.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

tried to watch 15 minutes tonight. unwatchable crap. unbearable. i don't think it gets the requisite one-season dvd.

12. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Ha! Well, if I read that correctly you tried to watch it for the first time tonight? Yeah, good luck with that. It's already hard enough to follow. I can't imagine jumping on this episode and expecting to have any clue what's going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted