1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John from Cincinnati....HE GONE!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Aug 14, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It sucked like everything else from Cincinnati.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Except for WKRP

3. Jerry Springer's prostitute definitely sucked.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That would kick-ass.

As to John From Cincinnati... I watched the season all the way through. My wife was lost but tried to keep up. The show was definitely weird, but it was only for the sake of being weird.

I think it is pretty obvious that the show was entirely based on John being Jesus. The problem was that the author found no way to explain the following:
    a) The hotel purchaser seeing visions. Either this guy also has some gift or John's impending arrival gave it to him. However, that wouldn't work as the guy said he got them for most of his life.

b) The coffee shop pair receiving video feeds. Why them? Was it to just broaden the circle of participants and those "touched?"

c) Shaun Yost's importance. Why this kid? The kid dies and is brought back to life when a bird pecks him. But why go through that. Either the kid will go or not.

d) Mitch Yost "needs to get back in the game." Well I don't see how this works out as he is magically flying off of the ground. Thus, that was never explained. It also didn't seem to have a reason. It wouldn't happen at integral parts, it was random.

It seemed like the author wanted as much pushed together as possible. It seemed that the author decided that there would be certain random/weird shit and that he would just explain it later. There wasn't a reason first followed by the result.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Ask JDV. We're all haters because we don't get it.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think the hotel guy always said he got visions, but once John made his appearance he actually started getting visions.
    Shaun Yost was the way John used to get Mitch and his wife back together so they could have another child. The miracle of Shaun of coming back to life was what got everyone together and it was all done to welcome the new child, a baby who would be a savior, who would save the Yosts, who would save surfing and by saving surfing, you save the world.
    The stick figure represented the child to be born.
    So I don't think that John was Jesus or was supposed to represent Jesus. I've decided that John was an agent of change empowered by God.
    Maybe that is all a huge stretch, but I think this past season was the backstory for a much larger tale.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Please, please, pretty please, with fucking sugar on top?

He's got to want to do something after the latest debacle, and they need a new flagship.

Get together and make it happen. They could make it about the fucking UN (Sudio 60 joke) and I'd watch.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Okay, I can get behind the latter portion... to a degree.

I quiver with the first part because John showed up after the hotel guy had visions. He won the lottery because he had a vision of the numbers. In real time, it does not take 1-day to collect on lottery winnings. John showed up after the hotel guy had already agreed to purchase the property. Once John arrived, the hotel guy decided to abandon his idea of knocking the hotel down for condos.

I also question why John would be an agent for change which would bring Mitch, a philanderer, and Sissy, a child molestor, back together in order to bring another child into the world. It also doesn't explain why Mitch was floating.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Milch already has a new deal ... and it appears you can forget about any Deadwood movies.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117970256.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

HBO sucks... I have five channels of HBO, six if you count the spanish language version.
    Of that right now are Shitty John from Cinci, Carnivale, Real Sports and (sorry, but I can;t stand Larry David) Curb your enthusiasm. Oh, the movie is Mom and Dad Save the World...
    HBO is like ESPN and MTV..... fuck the "original programming"; show me the damn things that made you successful

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the hour on the chiefs' camp is pretty cool ... other than that, yeah, it sucks.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sorkin will never get into bed with HBO... He cares too much about money... I read somewhere that his producing fee for Studio 60 was the highest in TV history...

That's certainly his right, but if he went with HBO, it would likely be for low money up front with plenty coming later if the show is successful thanks to syndication and DVD sales...

Draft saved Draft deleted