1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John from Cincinnati....HE GONE!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Aug 14, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/14/television.john.reut/index.html

Good...show was too weird.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched half of the first episode and couldn't get into it. Glad I didn't invest any more time into it.

I HOPE they do not cancel Flight of the Conchords. I have really been enjoying it.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dear John (from Cincinnati),

Goodbye.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You lose style points for referencing Hawk Harrelson. Major style points.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Any show trying to fill that Sopranos void right after it went off the air was going to have problems.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They never should've gotten rid of Dear John. Now that was a show.

That Kirk guy made me laugh.

7. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Huh,

Too bad, show was great. Although, I am not sure they needed to do more with it. Perhaps a second season to go a bit further & fully wrap up ala Rome.

What was hard to understand about the show? The show made way more sense if you are religious. Maybe I should do a video explaining the mysteries of the show for my TV critic friends ala my Sopranos vid.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You definitely ought to.

9. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Agreed.

I watched every J from C episode of the season (thanks, OnDemand) and though I was entertained at times, I had no idea what was going on, and I got the feeling that was the whole point. I don't need to be coddled and spoon-fed a plot, but come on: Ending episodes with gibberish-filled monologues made me feel like the producers were just fucking with the audience for the sake of fucking with them. Poor form.

Flight, on the other hand, has been great. Really, really funny stuff ... funnier, I think, than HBO's first attempt at the slacker-acoustic-guitar-players-living-together genre, "Tenacious D." If HBO cancels the Kiwis, I will have no reason to keep subscribing, since renting "The Wire" on DVD is cheaper than shelling out an extra $15 a month.

10. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Just like everything else in life, right? Gimme a break.

11. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Are you anti-religious?

Again, don't be a hater if you were religious it is not hard to understand. I was raised Catholic, had the bible read to me every day, and was an alter boy. My family is very religious. One great uncle is a priest and several of my mom's relatives have advanced degrees in religion.

In any event, the show was filled with religious metaphors & most were repeated over & over.

Look, I don't want to go back and forth. If you didn't get it sorry, but don't be a hater.

I am super busy this week & next with clients in town and launching new projects, but if I get some time I will cut a vid explaining as I think many people were similarly mystified by the show.

John

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

D_B. I posted the news at 9:30 this morning as the last post in this thread:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45619/

Draft saved Draft deleted