1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John from Cincinnati 6/24 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 25, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Is anybody still watching John from Cincinnati?
    And if you are, umm what the hell happened last night?
    I watched it and I'm still confused. John tells Kai to see God and next thing you know smoke is coming out of dude's head.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but birds bringing people back to life, guys floating, I mean you got some weird crap going on.

2. digger

digger New Member

I've seen every episode, I'm not really sure what's going on, but it seems pretty good.

I love all the Deadwood alum in it (the deputy - wild bill's friend, is a drug dealer, the psycho hearst sent in who ended up hanging himself as the doctor). Think Trixie might show up?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"Spare me the babe in the woods routine. You just paid to see a donkey fuck a woman."

Not sure I like the show, but I love the dialogue. God damn I miss Deadwood

4. digger

digger New Member

The worst part about Deadwood being gone is that there was still plenty of story to tell (unlike Sopranos, where they were able to close a lot of the story lines).

And it was an awesome show. I love when writers/directors are able to take what could be a loathesome character (Sweringen, Tony Soprano) and make you like them anyway.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Closest thing I can compare this to is Twin Peaks. It's that out there.

I'm going to keep watching for a while.

6. Dedo

Dedo Member

I'm assuming the "see God" thing was Kai being able to see a whole bunch of shit going on the world at one time, and how that's not as great as it might sound, but I'm only guessing. I'm loving this show, though.

Another Deadwood connection you might not have noticed -- John is the guy who played Morgan Earp in a couple episodes of the last season.

Also, I love how Vondas has gone from the underling of The Greek in "The Wire" to the underling of drug-dealing Charlie Utter.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

THE worst show to ever grace HBO.

Rumor has it they're gonna pull the plug on it early or just let it run its 12 eps and let John get teleported back to "Cincy."

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2007/06/25/070625crte_television_franklin

The people at the New Yorker aren't fans.
    I hope they don't pull it early, it doesn't seem to me that HBO is that reliant on ratings, but shows need some time to develop.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I tried watching Big Love last night.
    Too many subplots running around, I'm lost.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

mark, if you've got InDemand, HBO has three 4-minute vignettes that kind of get you up to speed on it. I know there's a lot going on, and it would be tough to sort out if you join in the middle of the series.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

That's where I goofed, I watched most of last year, then lost my way the last 3 or so.

12. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I'm digging this show. I'm still not positive what's going on. A critic my opinions are very in-line with most of the time said if you can get through the first three episodes, there's tremendous payoff. Well, it's time for that payoff...

Draft saved Draft deleted